Message Boards Message Boards

Summation of Bode Plots

Posted 10 years ago

Can anyone explain how I can create a plot of the summation of two or more bode plots. I have created 3 bode plots named G1, G2, and G3. I would like to create a bode plot called G4 which is the Magnitude of the previous 3 summed, and the Phase of the previous 3 summed. Each Bode plot was created using the following notation:

G1 = TransferFunctionModel[{"my function"},s];
G2 = ...
G3 = ...

Somehow I would like G4 to be the bode plot of G1+G2+G3.... but this notation is clearly incorrect.

Then I did

BodePlot[{G1,G2,G3,G4},{10,10^(10)}]

Can someone please advise!!! Thank you!!

POSTED BY: DJ Swack
5 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

I'll have a think about this one and get back to you later.

POSTED BY: Norman Dewane
Posted 10 years ago

Hi DJ,

It depends on what you mean by sum. On a Bode plot gains are in dB, so summing is equivalent to multiplication of gains, which is a series connection for transfer functions. (Or multiplication in the s-domain.) Such multiplication also sums phase response. Below tf1 has DC gain 1 and a single pole at -10; tf2 has gain 2 and a pole at -1000; tfSum is the series connection.

tf1 = TransferFunctionModel[{{{{}}}, {{{-10}}}, {{1 10}}}, s]

tf2 = TransferFunctionModel[{{{{}}}, {{{-1000}}}, {{2 1000}}}, s]

tfSum = SystemsModelSeriesConnect[tf1, tf2]

BodePlot[{tf1, tf2, tfSum}, PlotLegends -> {"TF1", "TF2", "Sum"}]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 10 years ago

That sounds right to me. I just did not know the syntax for doing what I wanted to do. Appreciate the help!!!!

Posted 10 years ago

I have mathematica 8 and it doesn't seem to recognize the SystemModelSeriesConnect function. Am I missing something obvious?

Posted 10 years ago

missed the "s" sorry.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract