Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Do I need additional packages for this Tutorial?

Posted 10 years ago

Hello,

I wonder if I need additional packages in Mathematica to run (or reproduce) this tutorial here:

http://blog.wolfram.com/2013/07/09/using-mathematica-to-simulate-and-visualize-fluid-flow-in-a-box/

At the step, where the first time the solution "sol" is computed, (and the first Line Integral-Plot), something is not working at my .nb, I get a white empty Graph instead of the picture shown in the Blog entry. (Downloadable file at the end of the Blog Post).

I have Mathematica 10.0 for students, my PC is a Core i7 vPro with 8gb RAM.

POSTED BY: David Klein
4 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Dont worry, I was just wondering that there was no sign of information of what happened :) I did not know about the CDF first, so I wrote the code myself and since it didn't worked I was looking for a typo in my code for quite some time. But so I will go more into the mechanics of Mathematica first, I think its a great software.

By the way: It worked well with just 10 points in the grid instead of 100. Took some seconds.

fluid

It's something :)

Remember that this particular calculation is one that has a significant computational load. So don't judge Mathematica based on it if this is your beginning experience. I will set the computation running later on when I don't need to see how long it takes. Also, since there are dynamic interactive elements to that CDF, avoid scrolling down to them (they only attempt to format and evaluate when on the screen) while this particular computation is running since it is so very CPU-intensive.

8 Gb should be enough for you to do significant work with Mathematica in general. You'd only need to optimize more if you are going to be solving things like 30000 simultaneous equations ... ;-)

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks, David

for your help. It seems that indeed the kernel crashed (the line marker shows ln(1) after some seconds). I downloaded Mathematica just today, didn't imagined that I would crash the core on my first calculation attempts :) :)

Will look how to optimize my configurations maybe.. Thanks again.

I am guessing that your Kernel crashed when computing the "sol" expression. (you can tell if this is what happened by looking at then in the In[n] value for the Line Integral-Plot cell that generated your empty plot)

I tried doing the calculation on my machine (16 Gb I7). I executed up to the "sol" expression and went to make lunch and came back 10 or 15 minutes later with it still running at 400% CPU. So I killed the computation so I could go about other business. As the blog poster noted, he's solving 30,000 simultaneous equations, but I don't know what to expect in terms of how long it should take and he doesn't comment on this.

But to answer your first question, no, this does not need the loading of an external package as far as I can see.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract