6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Generating a dummy variable

Posted 10 years ago

In my original data, I have a n x 2 matrix. I now want to generate a new column, containing a dummy variable indicationg whether the element in column 1 is greater than the element in column 2. Alternatively, I managed to generate a new data file containing the difference between the two columns (And then adding it with the Join function). This new file contains values ranging from -6 up to 6. However, I did not manage to assign dummies to these values.

The general idea is that I want a value of 1 is the element in the first column is larger, otherwise a 0 (Or likewise 1 if the element is positive in my own generated data, or 0 otherwise). The values of the two columns are never identical either.

My question now is: how do generate a dummy variable for a whole column? I have the two above mentioned opportunities to create the dummy, but with neither data did I reach my goal.

Thanks for your support.

POSTED BY: Florian Bannwart
6 Replies

Something like this?

{{1, 2}, {2, 1}} /. {a_?NumericQ, b_} :> {a, b, If[a >= b, 1, 0]}
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Thanks for your reply. However, how do I apply this code?

i.e. if i name my dataset "data", do I just type

data[{{1, 2}, {2, 1}} /. {a?NumericQ, b} :> {a, b, If[a >= b, 1, 0]}]?

Sorry for the weird questions, I'm quite new to this program =)

Thanks!

What is the format of your matrix? Is it a list of lists? Can you give a small sample?

It's a nx2 matrix, containing integers.

i.e.:

{6., 7.}, {6., 4.}, {1., 6.}, {4., 6.}, {7., 5.}, {6., 2.}, {6., 7.}, {6., 4.}

You should wrap your data into a list

{{6., 7.}, {6., 4.}, {1., 6.}, {4., 6.}, {7., 5.}, {6., 2.}, {6., 7.}, {6., 4.}}

and then apply the replacement rule outside the final bracket:

{{6., 7.}, {6., 4.}, {1., 6.}, {4., 6.}, {7., 5.}, {6., 2.}, {6., 7.}, {6., 4.}}/. {a_, b_} :> {a, b, If[a >= b, 1, 0]}

The repacement rule instructs Mathematica to replace any list of two elements of the form {a,b} with the triplet {a,b,variable}, where the variable is 1 or 0 according to the values of a,b. The underscores in {a_, b_} mean that a and b are not meant to be literally the two symbols a and b, but they are patterns to which we assign the tags a and b for the purposes of the replacement.

The rule {a_, b_} :> {a, b, If[a >= b, 1, 0]} fails if your matrix is 2 by 2, in which case you should use the more elaborate version {a_?NumericQ, b_} :> {a, b, If[a >= b, 1, 0]} ,which checks if a is a number.

There are other ways of solving your problem, that may be more obscure but a lot faster for very large matrices.

It worked perfectly, thank you very much Gianluca!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract