3 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

MathLink on Mac OSX

Posted 10 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to call a C program from within Mathematica. I have compiled the addtwo.c example provided by Wolfram Research with

fayard@Speed:MathLink$ /Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions/mcc --verbose addtwo.tm addtwo.c
/Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions/mprep   addtwo.tm -o a.out.tm.c
/usr/bin/clang -I/Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -arch i386 -arch x86_64  -c -o addtwo.o addtwo.c
/usr/bin/clang -I/Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -arch i386 -arch x86_64  -c -o a.out.tm.o a.out.tm.c
/usr/bin/clang++ -I/Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -arch i386 -arch x86_64  -o a.out addtwo.o a.out.tm.o  -L/Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -lstdc++ -F /Applications/Mathematica.app/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -framework mathlink -framework Foundation

Unfortunately, when I try to load the library from Mathematica, I get a stall and I find that my application crashed. In ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, I get a crash from addtwo

Application Specific Information:
    dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/mathlink.framework/Versions/4.25/mathlink
    Referenced from: /Users/USER/Documents/*/addtwo
    Reason: image not found

Any help would be appreciated.

POSTED BY: Francois Fayard
3 Replies

The framework version of MathLink is intended to be used by .app bundles where it would be included in YourApp.app/Contents/Frameworks/mathlink.framework and would have the relative path you mention (@executable_path/../Frameworks/mathlink.framework).

If you're just building a command line tool (like the addtwo example) you'd be better off just linking against the static library (libMLi4.a).

It looks like the most recent versions of clang now default to using the newer libc++. The MathLink static library was built against the older libstdc++ and in order for the executable to link correctly all the components need to agree on which standard library they're using. The fix is to add -stdlib=libstdc++ to the build command.

mcc --verbose -st addtwo.tm addtwo.c -o addtwo -stdlib=libstdc++

Hi Rob,

I have tried to use mcc on OSX. Using:

mcc --verbose addtwo.tm addtwo.c -o addtwo

gives the code above and does not work. If I try to link to a static library, I use

mcc --verbose -st addtwo.tm addtwo.c -o addtwo

and I have a lot of templates error.

POSTED BY: Francois Fayard
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract