Message Boards Message Boards

WhenEvent issue with vector valued diffeq

Posted 10 years ago

Below is some code that numerically solves a 2D lossless ballistic flight. r[t] is essentially {x[t],y[t]} as a 2-vector. I try to stop integration when the projectile hits the ground as given by r[t][[2]]<0, but WhenEvent does not seem to recognize the syntax. Is there something wrong with my code?

eqs = {r''[t] == -{0, 1}, r'[0] == {2, 3}, r[0] == {0, 0}, 
   WhenEvent[r[t][[2]] < 0, "StopIntegration"; tf = t]};

sol = NDSolveValue[eqs, r, {t, 0, 8}];

Plot[{sol[t][[1]], sol[t][[2]]}, {t, 0, 8}]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: David Keith
4 Replies

Hi,

In you example the domain of sol is (0.,6.), looks like when interpolation function is plotted it's values outside the domain are extrapolated.

I.M,

POSTED BY: Ivan Morozov
Posted 10 years ago

Thank you, Ivan. But I think the domain I get for the interpolating function solution is {0,8}, which is the full extent of the integration time, without stopping at t=6, where r[t][[2]] becomes negative from above.

Yes, sorry, I removed tf = t, if kept the code produce wrong domain. This modification gives correct domain and tf (the plot is still wrong):

eqs = {r''[t] == -{0, 1}, r'[0] == {2, 3}, r[0] == {0, 0}, 
   WhenEvent[r[t][[2]] < 0, {"StopIntegration", tf = t}]};
sol = NDSolveValue[eqs, r, {t, 0, 8}];
sol["Domain"]
tf

{{0., 6.}}

I.M.

POSTED BY: Ivan Morozov
Posted 10 years ago

Yes! Thank you, Ivan. That works fine. And the plot is correct if plotted {t,0,tf}. The mistake was mine in thinking a semicolon could separate parts of a compound statement as actions for WhenEvent. The documentation says actions in a list are evaluated sequentially.

Best regards, David

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract