Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

why Mathematica 10 does not compute this integral?

Posted 10 years ago

enter image description here

Why does Mathematica 10 not compute the first one, but compute the second one? Please try the attached file. Thank you.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Hong Liu
8 Replies

The integration you are trying to compute will not give you any answer because the constant 'sigma v' has a subscript v which is considered as a variable v which runs from (-) Infinity to (+) Infinity. As Mathematica does not know that it is a subscript or a notation,it can not compute. That is why it is convenient to use another symbol say, 'a' instead of 'sigma v'.

Integrate[Exp[(-v^2/a^2)/2]/(Sqrt[2 Pi] a), {v, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Perhaps this will work. See the attachment.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: suvadip mandal

Hello Because v appears as the integration variable as a subscript. Try

Integrate[E^(1/2 (-(v^2/ \!(*SubsuperscriptBox[([Sigma]), (vvvv), (2)]))))/ Sqrt[2 [Pi]] , {v, -Infinity, Infinity}]

For some reason the "code block <>" is not appearing on this community editor. Sorry, cut and paste should work. Adding an image even though this is "bad practice" enter image description here

POSTED BY: W. Craig Carter

Sorry Suvadip, You had answered while I was creating a response.

Posted 10 years ago

Thank you very much! That explains.

POSTED BY: Hong Liu

Hi Craig,

Please do not mind.

sincerely, Suvadip.

POSTED BY: suvadip mandal

The code block ikon moved left in the edit row.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

Thanks. Palm slap to forehead.... I saw that it had moved the following day. I would have never survived in the wild.

I am wondering if that icon needs some words above or beside it, such as "Use this for Posting Code"? I don't find <> is obvious for its purpose.

I didn't find it obvious either. While I prefer the new location, it took me a bit to figure out what had changed (and thus why my code sections did not format correctly).

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract