|
4 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Filtering based on Category

Posted 9 years ago

I've got a list of categories that I'm trying to sort a list of with one of those industries and gps data. So basically I want to subdivide a list by the first String variable then Graph each category.

My list looks like

{Industry,{Xcoord, Ycoord}} 

So this is what I've come up with so far, but it's not even close to working,

Aerospace = dataset[[;;,{1,2}]] /. {Industry_,Coords_}:>{Cases[StringMatchQ[Industry,"Aerospace"]],Coords}
POSTED BY: Buck Huffman
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

byIndustry = GroupBy[coords, First, Point[Map[GeoPosition, #[[All, 2]]]] &];

I can now break each industry down like this and map it: Graphics[{Gray,State,Red,byIndustry[[1]]}] Graphics[{Gray,State,Red,byIndustry[[2]]}]

So now I need to put each byIndustry into its own tab in Tabview.

The worst case senerio is that you use Keys and Values for the Association and code it out in a for loop. But here's how I would do it. Here's some randomly generated data that looks like what you described:

randomExampleData = Table[{RandomChoice[{"IndustryA", "IndustryB"}], RandomReal[1, 2]}, {100}]

Group them by their first argument and then reduce the sets by selecting the 2nd part of them:

byIndustry = GroupBy[randomExampleData, First, #[[All, 2]] &]

We can map ListPlot onto the results and wrap it in a TabView:

TabView[Map[ListPlot, byIndustry]]
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

That's exactly what I was trying to do. Now I want to put each industry in its own TabView. I can break out each Industry like this:

Industry1Points=Point[Map[GeoPosition,Industry1[[All,2]]]]; Industry2Points=Point[Map[GeoPosition,Industry2[[All,2]]]];

TabView[{ Industry1->Graphics[{Gray,State,Red,Industry1Points}], Industry2->Graphics[{Gray,State,Red,Industry2Points}], }]

Is there a way to do this without breaking out each industry?

The first thing you might try is to filter out specific industries. So this example would select all the data where the first argument was "SomeIndustry"

someIndustryData = Select[data, First[#]=="SomeIndustry" &]

Once you have that data, you could select the second part of every pair

someIndustryData[[All,2]]

Of course, this might be a pain to do for all industries, so you can always use GroupBy:

GroupBy[data,First]

<| "Industry1" -> {....}, "Industry2" ->{...}, ..... |>
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract