|
3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Please, help me with solving this task

Posted 9 years ago

Hello. I have a task to find such change of variables (it should be diffeomorphism), which will transform a function to the standart Morse-type function (saddle). For example, I have a function 1/(1+x*y), which I should turn to u^2 - v^2. teacher told me, that there is a function in Wolfram Mathematica, which can do this automatically, but I can't find something like this in documentation. Please, help me. How can I solve this?

3 Replies

Please consider to deliver a slight bit more information to the community forum than the teacher did deliver to you.

• What about the singularities (submanifolds) x y = -1 in the function f[x_,y_] := 1/(1 + x y)?
  • At which point do you need to introduce local variables? Possibly at {x,y}={0,0}?

then there are entries like Hessian which could be used once the task at hand is clarified.

POSTED BY: Udo Krause

Thank you, I saw it, but actually, it's not the thing, I'm asking about... I need the way to find the change of variables, to see this change and write it like an explicit function.

Perhaps your teacher was referring to this (or some other) demonstration:

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/MorseSmaleFlowsOnATiltedTorus/

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract