|
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

unstable context

I am finding a situation where Mathematica's current context (and the entire context path as well) changes unexpectedly upon doing a simple evaluation (see the attached pdf of the notebook's inputs and outputs).

For the first seven inputs and outputs in the attached notebook, the context path remains in the same state that Mathematica started up with:

{PacletManager`, System`, Global`}

Then comes input [8] ( evaluate the result of applying a replacement rule ), after which the context path changes completely:

{Parallel`Queue`Interface`, System`}

I do this kind of thing day in and day out, with no problems, and now it goes out of control. Does anyone have an inkling of what is happening here?

Thank you for any ideas.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: david schafer
3 Replies

Try turning off the predictive interface (suggestions bar).

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

Yes that seems to eliminate the problem.

Thank you.

Is this phenomenon something I should try to understand or should I just consider it a bug?

POSTED BY: david schafer

My understanding is that the suggestions bar tries a number of evaluations behind the scenes, each wrapped in TimeConstrained so they don't take too long. Depending on the input, some of these predictions are symbolic computations that end up using (and autoloading) the parallel kernel functionality. The context path corruption can happen when this package loading process gets interrupted in the middle.

The developers are aware of this problem and looking into addressing it.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract