|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Problem with Remote Kernels

Posted 9 years ago

Hi,

I've been strugling to connect my frontend to a remote kernel. Both are version 10 and Linux but the frontend is 32-bits and the kernel 64-bits. Afaik it shouldn't make a difference but when I ask to evaluate a command it just hangs. Both connections (through both ports) are estabilished and the remote kernel is running and connected but no cigar. The 32/64-bits difference is the only thing I can think of that might be capable of screwing this. I searched everywhere and couldn't get a straight answer. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, E.

3 Replies

The 32 bit / 64 bit is likely not the problem (I can launch from 32 bit windows to 64 bit linux). What method are you using to connect to the remote kernel?

I like to use the RemoteMachine function and explicitly set it the way I need. Here is what I use [note some results/inputs are simulated]:

Needs["SubKernels`RemoteKernels`"]
In[292]:= user = $UserName;
ssh = "\\cygwin\\bin\\ssh";
math = "/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/10.1/Executables/MathKernel" <> 
   " -wstp -linkmode Connect `4` -linkname `2` -subkernel -noinit >&  /dev/null &";
number = 1;
machine = "remotemachine.bigtime.com";
remote = SubKernels`RemoteKernels`RemoteMachine[machine, 
  ssh <> " " <> user <> "@" <> machine <> " \"" <> math <> "\"", number];

In[298]:= remote // InputForm
Out[298]//InputForm=
RemoteMachine["remotemachine.bigtime.com", "\\cygwin\\bin\\ssh bigchad@remotemachine.bigtime.com \
\"/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/10.1/Executables/MathKernel -wstp -linkmode Connect `4` -linkname \
`2` -subkernel -noinit >& /dev/null &\"", 1]

LaunchKernels[remote]
{"KernelObject"[2, "remotemachine.bigtime.com"]}

ParallelEvaluate[$MachineName]
{"remotemachine"}

ParallelEvaluate[3.1/3.21]
{0.965732}

CloseKernels[]
{"KernelObject"[2, "remotemachine.bigtime.com", "<defunct>"]}
POSTED BY: Chad Knutson

Hi,

thanks for the answer I'm using almost the same thing except I change both ports used because of firewall problems and tunnel them through ssh. I know it connects because the tunnel I'm using I set the -v option. The only thing different that you use is the -subkernel option but it made no difference, it still hangs. If I kill the kernel process I get a weird message from the frontend 'the front end encountered an error while processing a "openparallellinkspacket" packet'. I found nothing about it on the internet.

Thanks,

E.

I'd suggest talking directly to Tech support at Wolfram so that they can try to exactly match (or come close to it) your configuration.

POSTED BY: Chad Knutson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract