|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Is the CDF Player the preferred method?

Posted 9 years ago

Is the CDF Player the preferred method for reading a Mathematica notebook without Mathematica?

POSTED BY: David Keith
4 Replies

In my humble opinion it will be a number of years before either the CDF Player or Mathematica Online are reliable enough, general enough and simple enough to gain wide acceptance. The price of CDFEnterprise is beyond the reach of almost all users outside of large institutions. Creating CDF applications with the Free CDFPlayer that include package code just doesn't work.

If it is just for "reading", then PDF of course is the best method.

I can send a PDF attachment to anyone and they can read it. If I send a CDF as attachment, most will will have no idea what to do with it, unless they are Mathematica users and have Mathematica or the player installed on their current device. But everyone can read pdf files and not everyone knows how to read CDF file.

Export to PDF from notebook works fairly well (most of the time :). So if the purpose is just to have someone read your notebook, that is what I would do.

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi

@Mr Park I agree, except the last sentence. It works, it's just very limited (export,dialogs etc), outlined here Free/Pro/Enterprise/MMA But including your package to FreeCDF is not a big problem. (otoh not so strightforward).

Or have I missed the point?

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks, all. I've come to the same conclusion. Given the right style sheet, it prints great as save as pdf.

POSTED BY: David Keith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract