Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Are local and cloud definitions of built in functions compatible?

Posted 9 years ago
CloudDeploy[Column[{
   "Static date:",
   DateString[],
   Manipulate[   Column[{"Dynamic date:", DateString[], x}], {x, 0, 10, 1}]
   }]
 ]

enter image description here

Static date is just a string sent to cloud, DateString[] in Manipulate has to be produced by Cloud.

Why are they different?

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki
4 Replies

Kuba,
If i run $DateStringFormat in my desktop kernel i get

{"DateTimeShort"}

if i run CloudEvaluate[$DateStringFormat] i get

{"DayShort", " ", "MonthName", " ", "Year", " ", "Hour12Short", ":", "Minute", " ", "AMPMLowerCase"}

Is this an answer to your question?

Yes, thanks. Shouldn't default settings be consistent?

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki

The documentation doesn't seem to guarantee a default value for it, but I'm not sure why they would be different by default except maybe for different languages.

Eitherway, I've reported this in case it needs to be fixed or clarified in the documentation.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

There are a LOT of differences in the defaults between the two. It's very frustrating having to learn a new "dialect" after struggling to learn the language to begin with.

Is there a good place to find out the terms and hot keys I should use (in both MO & Mathematica) so I can lesson my learning curve? (That curve now looks like a parabola.)

Specifically, I am have gone back to school to become a high school math teacher for kids who were like me and didn't understand math. So now I have to go through a lot of courses and teach myself. Everything I am doing is academic and in the subjects of calc (pre through Calc III), Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and probably some probability and statistics. How can I easily find the command words to use to make everything work and save me an insane amount of computing time?

And how can I also make these things work on both desktop and online versions? (Trying to decide which to stick with.) An example of what I can't do online is using CTRL keys for radicals, exponents, fractions, etc. Included are what desktop allows me to do (easy to see if I make a mistake) and what online allows me to do (really hard to catch mistakes and is a waste of money when I can just use the Alpha app I already own). And yes, I had to search for quite some time to find "root" to be -I hope- the right term.

Thank you ... a LOT. Parker

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Parker Adair
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract