11 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

digits of pi

Posted 9 years ago

I am playing with the digits of pi ...

I use 10.1 with 2.4Ghz MacMini, 8 G memory ...

I am up to 300,000,000 digits (820 seconds timing), (working on 400,000,000 now) previously, I had tried a billion digits, but I aborted ... it might be because the computer went to sleep (I had not set preferences to not sleep)

... is there a physical limit with my machine? or is it just a matter of waiting a long time?

... I have never used "Export" -- I am assuming that I can Export and then Import the digits (so I don't have to rerun the calculation each time I open the file) I did try Export with 300,000,000 digits but it seemed to take a long time, so I aborted

I am assuming that I am going to run into a wall getting to a billion digits ... any suggestions?

POSTED BY: Terry Krohe
11 Replies

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Simon Cadrin
Posted 9 years ago

I just did 1 billion digits, it took 1137 seconds and the mem count went from 5.75 gb to just over 7 gb however it did peak at over 12 gb at some point, so maybe 8 gb is a tad too little. the file created was just over 1 gb in size and is available here if you want to down load it. It is a txt file and will have a load of "/" line separators in it, so you will need to edit those out. The longest part was writing it to file and uploading it. From start to finish was an hour to get it into dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fasudetu4vczho7/pibillion.txt?dl=0

Regards.

POSTED BY: Paul Cleary
Posted 9 years ago

thanks Paul ... I will download it ... I did a 600 million last night and it took 1877 sec with my machine ... now I need to learn to compress/save etc ...

Posted 9 years ago

Simon --

digitsPi  =  Delete[ RealDigits[ N[ Pi,1000000000 ], -1]     will give a data list

Export[ "piBillion.dat", digitsPi]   will give a usable data file

but the damn thing is 1 G big, and not email-able

so ... what to do?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract