Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to see full text instead of skeleton <<1>>?

Posted 9 years ago

I am trying to solve system of PDE with NDSolve. and I git an error message like this

NDSolve::deqn: Equation or list of equations expected instead of ConditionalExpression[long expression with many omitted parts like <<1>> <<2>>].

My question is how to expand all these skeletons

<<1>>, <<2>>

(number in double less then and great then signs) and etc to full real values? As I understand from here http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Skeleton.html this syntax

<<1>>

means that expression is too big and Mathematica try to make it shorter and replace some parts as

<<1>>

I tryied to use TotalWidth option like this

SetOptions[NDSolve, TotalWidth -> 500]
syssolution = NDSolve[{systemtosolve, ic}, 
    vars, {t, 0, 10^-6}....];

but I got an error message "SetOptions::optnf: TotalWidth is not a known option for NDSolve."

4 Replies

Can you post some of the code you're using? That error indicates that the arguments you provided to NDSolve are incorrectly formatted.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

Thank you for your reply. I tried to minimize my problem and I found the main reason, but I still do not know what I can do.

My code looks like this

KH := Rationalize[0.12]; 
L := 1; 
S := Sqrt[3]/4*L^2;
\[Mu] := 4*S/(WL*L); \[Phi]0 := Pi;

systemtosolve = {    D[\[CapitalPhi][t, \[Xi]l, \[Xi]r], t] == 1 +
     Cos[\[Mu] *\[CapitalPhi][t, \[Xi]l, \[Xi]r] + 
       KH*Re[Z[\[Xi]r] - Z[\[Xi]l]] - \[Phi]0]    };

ic = {    \[CapitalPhi][0, \[Xi]l, \[Xi]r] == Pi    };
vars = {\[CapitalPhi]};

syssolution =    NDSolve[{systemtosolve, ic},     vars, {t, 0, 1}, {\[Xi]r, -0.1, 0.1}, {\[Xi]l, -0.1, 0.1}];

NDSolve::deqn: Equation or list of equations expected instead of ConditionalExpression[(\[CapitalPhi]^(1,0,0))[t,\[Xi]l,\[Xi]r]==1-Cos[3/25 Plus[<<2>>]+1250000000/791 Power[<<2>>] \[CapitalPhi][<<3>>]],(((0.
-2. I) \[Xi]l\[Element]Reals&&Re[(0. +2. I) \[Xi]l]<0.208)||Re[(0. -1. I) \[Xi]l]>-0.104)&&(((0. -2. I) \[Xi]r\[Element]Reals&&Re[(0. +2. I) \[Xi]r]<0.208)||Re[(0. -1. I) \[Xi]r]>-0.104)] in the first argument {{ConditionalExpression[(\[CapitalPhi]^(1,0,0))[t,\[Xi]l,\[Xi]r]==1-Cos[Plus[<<2>>]],((Times[<<2>>]\[Element]Reals&&Re[<<1>>]<0.208)||Re[Times[<<2>>]]>-0.104)&&((Times[<<2>>]\[Element]Reals&&Re[<<1>>]<0.208)||Re[Times[<<2>>]]>-0.104)]},{\[CapitalPhi][0,\[Xi]l,\[Xi]r]==\[Pi]}}.
>>

The problem dissappeared if I remove function Z[] This function is defined like this

Z[x_] := 2*I*Integrate[Exp[-y^2.0 + 2.0*I*y*x], {y, 0, Infinity}];

When I just calculate Z function or draw it's graph everything is fine, but NDSolve do nto like this function somehow.

Can you help me to understand, what is wrong with Z function?

Edited: misprint corrected.

Is that the actual code for the Z function? If so, it needs to be this:

Z[x_] := 2*I*Integrate[Exp[-y^2.0 + 2.0*I*y*x], {y, 0, Infinity}];

You have to put an underscore after every argument when defining a Mathematica function.

Another possible error: did you define the function \[CapitalPhi]?

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

Thank you for your answer. I was a mistake from my side. Of course it is Z[x_]. Function if fully workinng and I printed graph of this function in this file many times. [CapitalPhi] I need to find. It is my vars for NDSolve.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract