5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to generate good looking output?

Posted 9 years ago

Hey,

I've been trying to write my own program to calculate the Fourier-Coefficients and so far the program works but has an awful output.

I would like to have ai and bi written next to each output and also have the results for a and b in the same line, except a0 has to standalone or b0 has to be 0.

This is my code so far:

Clear[n, t, f, i, ak, bk] f[t_] := \[Pi]^2 - t^2; ak[f_, n_, t_] := (1/\[Pi]) Integrate[f[t] Cos[n t], {t, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}]; bk[f_, n_, t_] := (1/\[Pi]) Integrate[f[t] Sin[n t], {t, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}] n = 5; For[i = -1, i < n, Print[i.ak[f, i, t]], i++] For[i = 0, i < n, Print[i.bk[f, i, t]], i++]

Can someome help me and make the ouput more plesseant to look at. I have not done something like this in MATHEMATICA before.

Thanks for your help in advance and have a nice day.

POSTED BY: tt5 kk6
5 Replies

Something like this?

TableForm[Table[{i, ak[f, i, t], bk[f, i, t]}, {i, -1, 10}], 
 TableHeadings -> {None, {k, ak, bk}}]

or else

Grid[Table[{i, ak[f, i, t], bk[f, i, t]}, {i, -1, 10}], Frame -> All]

Why do you make ak and bk depend on t, when they don't?

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 9 years ago

Yes exactly like this. Thank you.

Well if i dont make ak and bk depend on t then MATHEMATICA doesn't evalute the Integrals properly for some reason. I think it's because f depends on t and therefore ak and bk do aswell.

I have continued to work on this little Program and decided to plot the functions and the fourier-series.

Is there a way to change the filling into more and more red (maybe starting at blue) the less accurate the approximation is?

This is my code for ploting: (as u can see i dont know what to put next to FillingStyle)

fourierplot[f_, fn_, n_] := Plot[{f[t], fn[t]}, {t, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}
  , Filling -> {1 -> {2}}
  , FillingStyle -> ColorFunction
  , ImageSize -> Medium
  , AxesLabel -> {t, y}
  , PlotLegends -> {f, "Fourierreihe für n=" Text[n]}]
f[t_] = t;
{f5[t_], f10[t_], f20[t_]} = fourierseries[f[t], {5, 10, 20}];
Row[fourierplot[f, f5, 5]
 , fourierplot[f, f10, 10]
 , fourierplot[f, f20, 20]]

My guess is that you had given t a numeric value, and this interfered with Integrate. You can protect the integration variable by wrapping it into Module:

Clear[ak, bk];
ak[f_, n_] := 
  ak[f, n] = 
   Module[{t}, (1/\[Pi]) Integrate[f[t] Cos[n t], {t, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}]];
bk[f_, n_] := 
  bk[f, n] = 
   Module[{t}, (1/\[Pi]) Integrate[f[t] Sin[n t], {t, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}]];
f[t_] := \[Pi]^2 - t^2;
ak[f, 2]

Also, it may be prudent to use NIntegrate instead of Integrate, unless you know in advance that your integrals have a closed form. As for the FillingStyle, you may first define your measure of accuracy, for example the L2 distance

el2distance[f_, fn_] := 
 Module[{t}, Sqrt@NIntegrate[Abs[f[t] - fn[t]]^2, {t, -Pi, Pi}]]

and then write something like

FillingStyle -> GrayLevel[el2distance[f, fn]]

This may not work straight away, because you probably have to normalize the distance first, as GrayLevel[x] wants x between 0 and 1. Instead of GrayLevel[x], you may prefer something like Blend[{Blue, Red}, x].

Posted 9 years ago

That is almost what i mean, but i meant the Approximation for each point. So what i wanted to do was to use:

el2distance[f_, fn_] := Abs[f[t] - fn[t]]]

But MATHEMATICA now gives me an errormessage saying:

Abs[0. +t$322115-2. Sin[t$322115]+1. Sin[2. t$322115]-0.666667 Sin[3. t$322115]+0.5 Sin[4. t$322115]-0.4 Sin[5. t$322115]] should be a real number or a list of non-negative numbers, which has the same length as {\!\(\*

I guess what i have to do is to numerically calculate the value of that expression? But how?

Well, you have to make up your mind as to which t to use for the accuracy. One way would be to maximize Abs[f[t]-fn[t]] over all t. You can use FindMaxValue.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract