|
7 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How do I define this function with the WL? b[a_ , t_] := a'[t] Sin[a[t]];

Posted 9 years ago

Hi dears does anyone know what is the problem when i define this function in mathematica?

b[a_ ,  t_] := a'[t] Sin[a[t]];

it gives : SetDelayed::write: Tag Times in (sin'[a[t]] a'[t])[a_ ,t_] is Protected. >>

i want to define a function containing variables and their derivatives ! help me please :)

POSTED BY: Amir Arshia
7 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Dears most recently i encountered with another problem in mathematica NDSolve i had defined some equations "lagrangeo1" ,"lagrangei1", and "lagrangei2" that are differential equations. but when started to solve:

lagrangesolve = NDSolve[{lagrangei1 == 0, lagrangei2 == 0, lagrangeo1 == 0,o1[0] == -36,i1[0] ==18,i2[0] == 18, o1'[0] == 0.5, i1'[0] == 0,i2'[0] == -0.75}, {o1, i1, i2}, {t, 0, 100}]

(o1,i1,i2 are my variables) it said :

NDSolve::ndsdtc: The time constraint of 1.` seconds was exceeded trying to solve for derivatives, so the system will be treated as a system of differential-algebraic equations. You can use Method->{"EquationSimplification"->"Solve"} to have the system solved as ordinary differential equations. >> NDSolve::njnum: The Jacobian is not a matrix of numbers at ... ... General::stop: Further output of NDSolve::njnum will be suppressed during this calculation. >> NDSolve::icfail: Unable to find initial conditions that satisfy the residual function within specified tolerances. Try giving initial conditions for both values and derivatives of the functions. >>

will be glad if anyone could help me. regards

It looks to me like you have previously defined b to be something else. Try clearing the variables a, b, t before defining the function.

The main clue that this is happening is they the error message uses sin (with lower case 's') so it looks like b was defined as (sin'[a[t]] a'[t]) and that is substituted into your function definition. Since this is right next to [a, t], Mathematica is trying to do an implicit multiplication.

I can enter your function without error on my system (MMa 10.1, OS X) in a fresh notebook.

Posted 9 years ago

Thank you George now it works correctly

Posted 9 years ago

Dear George most recently i encountered with another problem in mathematica NDSolve i had defined some equations "lagrangeo1" ,"lagrangei1", and "lagrangei2" that are differential equations. but when started to solve:

lagrangesolve = NDSolve[{lagrangei1 == 0, lagrangei2 == 0, lagrangeo1 == 0,o1[0] == -36,i1[0] ==18,i2[0] == 18, o1'[0] == 0.5, i1'[0] == 0,i2'[0] == -0.75}, {o1, i1, i2}, {t, 0, 100}]

NDSolve::ndsdtc: The time constraint of 1.` seconds was exceeded trying to solve for derivatives, so the system will be treated as a system of differential-algebraic equations. You can use Method->{"EquationSimplification"->"Solve"} to have the system solved as ordinary differential equations. >> NDSolve::njnum: The Jacobian is not a matrix of numbers at ... ... General::stop: Further output of NDSolve::njnum will be suppressed during this calculation. >> NDSolve::icfail: Unable to find initial conditions that satisfy the residual function within specified tolerances. Try giving initial conditions for both values and derivatives of the functions. >>

will be glad if you could help me again. regards

Hi Amir,

most likely you first executed

b := a'[t] Sin[a[t]]

and then the correct definition

b[a_, t_] := a'[t] Sin[a[t]]

Do a clean start or at least execute

ClearAll[b]

then it will work.

Regards Henrik

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you Henrik now it works correctly

Posted 9 years ago

Dear Henrik most recently i encountered with another problem in mathematica NDSolve i had defined some equations "lagrangeo1" ,"lagrangei1", and "lagrangei2" that are differential equations. but when started to solve:

will be glad if you could help me again. regards

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract