3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

word problems ??

Posted 9 years ago

im willing to learn , however im a visual and im having a hard time translating story problems . for example . one number is 13 more than another number . if the sum of the two numbers is 15 , find the two numbers .. sum means addition or the total amt. of intergers or variables are to add up to .correct ? my solution 13+2 =15 . one number is 13 , got that , then the question more then the other number ? there cannot be a more then another number , unless they mean subtraction .. does wolfram offer story problem solvers ? I need to practice seeing the word problem then writing it down in algebraic expressions I can understand . is there such a program out there ? I can solve the equation just fine , after I can translate the problem . I just cant understand the story problems . any help out there ???? advise ??? I understand the basic algebraic language . term , is , sum expression ,variable , but when it comes to the story problem . im in the dark without a flashlight and I want to learn this . wolfram has all the tools but this one ?

POSTED BY: shawn lavoie
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

The key to solving word problems is to first translate the statement in words into a statement in math. Do not try to just write down a formula for the answer. For example,

One number is 13 more than another number: Call the first number x and the second number y, so we have

x = y+13

The sum of the two numbers is 15, so we have

x + y = 15

Now we have two equations in two unknowns, so they can be solved. (By us or by Mathematica or Alpha -- notice you can substitute the value for x given in the first equation into the second to get the value of y = 1.)

In[1]:= Solve[{x == y + 13, x + y == 15}]

Out[1]= {{x -> 14, y -> 1}}

This process of translating the word statement, or the situation, into mathematical relationships is the foundation of applied mathematics. It is not difficult once you see the relationship between the word statements and their equivalent mathematical statements. At least not for humans. Try to first write down what you know in statements that are as simple as possible, and as mathematical as possible, before trying to work out a solution. Perhaps it would be possible to create an automated tool to do this, but it would really spoil the fun!

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 9 years ago

thank you sooo much

POSTED BY: shawn lavoie
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 9 years ago

Struggling with this, I have employed sentence diagramming I learned in English classes.

equations drop straight out

Some other considerations taken together may save the day for you and maybe you can even enjoy a feeling of mastery over word problems. Good luck.

These things made all the different for me

"Is" diagrams to equals, "of" diagrams to multiply, "Quotient" diagram to divide "sum and more than" diagram to add

Job related problems are down to each acting participant doing his fractional part of a whole job.

Dimensions for the asked for answer, put everything down to juggling units of numbers supplied to match the units of the answer. ii think of it as the dimensional analysis thing

Multiple terms of an expression must all have the same units, it's that apples and oranges thing

Ratio and proportion based issues are down to ratios of corresponding sides of similar (triangles/ figures) being equal

Maintain UNITS with "Given Quantities" throughout Maintain UNITS with "asked for quantities" throughout. OBSERVE UNITS INTEGRITY, Mixed cm and meter values is a teachers favorite to do thing

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract