11 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Expand polynomial

Posted 9 years ago

Hi - apologies in advance because this must be simple, but I have tried a long list of commands without getting closer ... I want to expand a polynomial, grouped in powers of the variable. EG: given w=1+bx+cx^2+dx^3 Then I'd like to do something like Collect[w^2] and get 1 + 2bx + (2c+c^2)x^2 + 2(d+bc)x^3 + .... everything I have tried just gives me (1+bx+cx^2+dx^3)^2 Thanks

POSTED BY: Alan Smith
11 Replies

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Simon Cadrin

Posted 9 years ago

Hi, the expanded form you show is what I am looking for, but I want it in terms of the unknown coefficients a, b, c etc. - and in terms of a power of w, because once I can get w^2 I will try to get the series 1 + w + w^2 + w^3 + maybe higher terms. Thanks

Posted 9 years ago

Thanks, but I want the output polynomial grouped by powers of x, so something like 1 +bx + (a^2+b...)x^2 + (......)x^3 + and so on?

Posted 9 years ago

That was just an example, I don't actually know the polynomial that might emerge, which is why I wanted to see if mathematica could do it. So to summarise, I have a general poly, like w= 1 +bx + cx^2 + dx^3 ... once I know what the right commands are, I will want to experiment with this. Then I want to make a series - 1 + w + w^2 + w^3 +... but again I might want to extend it further.

So I will input w= 1 +bx + cx^2 + dx^3, then I want the commands that will take 1 + w + w^2 + w^3 and output that result, grouped in powers of x - so I would expect (only as an example) something like 1 + (...)x + (....)x^2 + (.....)x^3 + ...still keeping it general, with the b,c etc coefficiants. Thanks

Posted 9 years ago

In[1]:= w = 1 + b*x + c*x^2 + d*x^3;
Collect[1 + w + w^2 + w^3, x]

Out[2]= 4 + 6 b x + (4 b^2 + 6 c) x^2 + (b^3 + 8 b c + 6 d) x^3 + (3 b^2 c + 4 c^2 + 8 b d) x^4 +
    (3 b c^2 + 3 b^2 d + 8 c d) x^5 + (c^3 + 6 b c d + 4 d^2) x^6 + (3 c^2 d + 3 b d^2) x^7 + 3 c d^2 x^8 + d^3 x^9
POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 9 years ago

Perfect! Many thanks Bill (I had tried Collect, must have done something wrong, maybe something earlier not cleared ....). By the way - am I the only one who wishes there was a 'ClearAll' command that cleared everything from the current workspace (document)? I know I can specify types to be cleared, but would prefer to have a 'complete reset' available - unless there is one I don't know of?

Posted 9 years ago

There is a ClearAll documented in the help system, but that only does it for specific names you give it.

You can try the menu bar

Evaluation->Quit Kernel->Local->Quit

and that should deal with most things.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 9 years ago

That's great, thanks again Bill.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract