Message Boards Message Boards

Import/Export to Mathematica

Posted 9 years ago

Can PDF/Docs (with math equations) documents be imported into Mathematica?

POSTED BY: hady hakim
6 Replies

I think that the PDF's can only be imported as graphics. Look at the Import function in the Help, "Listing of Formats", and "Vector Graphics formats". I hope that this helps!

POSTED BY: Mark Holmes
Posted 9 years ago

If you have an MS Word document with math equations created using MathType (version 6 or higher), then you can copy the formula from MathType and paste it into Mathematica Notebook. Note that such imported formula not necessarily represent a valid Mathematica formula.

POSTED BY: Alexey Popkov
Posted 1 year ago

Can you explain more about copying MathType into Mathematica?

I have version 6.9 of MathType and version 7.0.1.0 of Mathematica. I am not a Latex user. I am also interested in a good video on how to use the tools to use the new interface to create documents. Is there a good youtube video? Is it possible to switch between the interface and the code? I have been using mathematica since version 1.8, when a lic was more than $2,000 in 1990 or something. I have never used the interfaces.

Mathematica should have a choice of an interface the same as Word. If Mathematica allowed users to choose either text/code in a notebook, or the current Mathematica interface, or an interface that is the same as Word then the world would not need MS Word.

Later, just replace all MS Office programs.

POSTED BY: Peter Munro
Posted 1 year ago

Hi Peter,

Here is a video showing how I do this using MathType 7.4.10 and Mathematica 8.0.4:

enter image description here

(I simply press Ctrl+C in the MathType window, and then Ctrl+V in the Mathematica window, then I show that the formula is pasted as a Mathematica expression by selecting its parts, and finally I convert the expression into its InputForm).

Posted 1 year ago

How can I pause the video?

POSTED BY: Peter Munro
Posted 1 year ago

It is a GIF-animation. You can't control how it is played. But of course you can import the GIF file into Mathematica and do whatever you want with the result.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract