Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Why does my MathKernel crash after long evaluations (10.3 on Linux)?

Posted 9 years ago

Hey everybody,

I have a huge problem with a project involving a numerical calculation in Mathematica 10.3 (but this problem is reproducible in all versions from 9.0 up to 10.3 that I could find on my machine). For the calculation I solve differential equations numerically for randomly chosen starting values. I do this for 10^5 samples and the estimated total running time of the simulation is ~2 days. The whole thing happens in a screen terminal, using "math -script <filename>". My problem is now that after a few hours (sometimes even after minutes) the kernel dies, without any error message. When I use subkernels to parallelize the whole thing, I only get messages that one of the kernel "appears to be dead". When I use a single thread it will just close the math kernel without further notice. Does anybody know where I might be able to find at least a reason why the kernels die? Some hidden log file maybe that I haven't found yet? Any help is appreciated, especially since Wolfram support is not answering my emails for some reason and this is affecting an important project.

Kindly, Matthias

POSTED BY: Matthias König
4 Replies

I have excluded memory usage as a cause, I have written a debug version of the script that does not save any results and thus uses practically no memory. Also running out of memory is usually foreshadowed by swapping, which is not happening. Also, it is usually accompanied by an error message.

POSTED BY: Matthias König
Posted 9 years ago

I'm sorry but usually in such situations it is impossible to help without a minimal code reproducing the problem. I understand that you probably have a very large code but please try to distill a minimal code snippet reproducing your problem.

POSTED BY: Alexey Popkov

Do you monitor your RAM usage as the program runs? Programs as large as Mathematica frequently have memory leaks.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract