Message Boards Message Boards

Does Mathematica utilize graphics cards for rendering Graphics3D on Linux?

Posted 9 years ago

It seems that Mathematica does not use my graphics card to render 3D objects on Linux. Rotating 3D objects is quite slow, and my GPU usage is always about 2-3% during the rotating period.

My configuration:

Mathematica: 10.3
Graphics Card: NVidia GTX 750 Ti
CPU: i7-2600

I am wondering if this is a common issue?

POSTED BY: Shudong Xie
2 Replies

My experience in 3D Mathematica graphics, is that it is also slow. I stopped doing 3D physics simulations in Manipulate as it can become too slow and not really usable. I once spent 2 months making 3D physics simulation (Symmetric top gyroscope) in Manipulate, and could not making it fast enough to use, even though the 3D graphics look nice, it was not really usable as it is just too slow.

I can't answer the question if it uses graphics card or not, just to mention that I had the same issue with 3D in Mathematica and others also. Here are some links

how-to-make-graphics3d-with-multiple-lighting-sources-being-rendered-faster

How to improve performance of Graphics3D rendering with Dynamics

May be someone from WRI can answer this problem one day. Mathematica 3D graphics look really nice and very well designed. But if they are slow to render, then they will not be too useful for doing simulation.

I am on windows 7, 64 bit. Fast intel CPU, 16 GB Ram, NVidia graphics card.

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
Posted 9 years ago

Mathematica does utilize graphics cards on Windows 7, at least on my machine. It is quite fast and the GPU usage is about 80% during the rendering period.

It is just too slow on Ubuntu.

POSTED BY: Shudong Xie
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract