|
7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Solve system of linear Diophantine equations with conditions

Posted 9 years ago

Hi everyone, I would like to ask your help in the following problem, I want to find nonnegative solutions for a system of linear Diophantine equations using some conditions on the constant terms. For example, in the following linear system the variables are $x,y_1,y_2,z_1,z_2,w$, and $n,a,b,c_1,c_2$ are nonnegative integers: $$x+w =a $$

$$ y_1+y_2+nw=b$$

$$y_1+w-z_1=c_1$$

$$y_2+w-z_2=c_2$$

and we have the next conditions for the constants: $$0\leq b-an, \;\; 0\leq a-c_1, \;\; 0\leq a-c_2, \;\; \mbox{and} \;\; 0\leq b-c_1-c_2.$$ I tried to use FindInstance[ ] but I had mistakes even if I don't try to write the conditions for the integers $n,a,b,c_1,c_2$:

FindInstance[ x + w == a && y1 + y2 + n w == b && y1 + w - z1 == c1 && y2 + w - z2 == c2 && 0 <= x && 0 <= y1 && 0 <= y2 && 0 <= w && 0 <= z1 && 0 <= z2, {x, y1, y2, w, z1, z2}, Integers]

FindInstance::exvar: "The system contains a nonconstant expression a independent of variables {x,y1,y2,w,z1,z2}"

If I try to add the conditions for the constants, then I obtain the same mistake.

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Juan Frias
7 Replies

Seems to me you are trying to use FindInstance to find a symbolic instance. I don't think it does that.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you for your comment, I didn't know Thread. That was a problem with FindInstance, such constraints for the constants made the mistake. I just try with Thread before FindInstance and the mistake remains, but before Solve and considering only the linear system everything works fine. Indeed, I didn't use SetAttributes and requiring integer solutions, in the conditional expression obtained appears the hypothesis that $a,b,c_1,c_2,n$ are integer numbers.

Posted 9 years ago

Hi. I think you are missing some constraints.

const = Thread[ {a, b, n, c1, c2, b - a*n, a - c1, a - c2, b - c1 - c2} >= 0 ]
POSTED BY: Dana DeLouis
Posted 9 years ago

Sure, I attached the notebook. I'm sorry, I got lost among all the calculations and attempts that I did: Solve works if I write the conditions for the constants, and in the solution some of them has assigned values in terms of other constants.

Now, I am trying to obtain a solution using the conditions for the constants and the condition that the solution is nonnegative.

Attachments:

That's interesting. Could you attach your notebook? I'd like to see exactly how that worked.

Posted 9 years ago

Thank you for your comment. I obtain the following using Solve: If I try to write the conditions on the constant I obtain the same mistake as in FindInstance. Now, if I don't write the conditions for the constants, then I obtain a solution but some of the constants $n,a,b,c_1, c_2$ has assigned values. However, using SetAttributes[{n,a,b,c1,c2}, Constant] and only writting the conditions for the constants, the mistake was fixed and I obtain conditional expressions in terms of $n,a,b,c_1,c_2$.

Edit: Solve works writing only the conditions for the constants, and in the solution some of them has assigned values in terms of other constants.

I think it's complaining about b, c1 and c2, which are not variables or numbers. Since your equations are all linear, try Solve or Reduce.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract