|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

VertexColors not working with ListPlot3D

My problem is quite simple: I have a 2D array of "height" values (floating point) for a 3D array of data (x and y values are implied), and an equally sized 2D array of color data which may not be assigned using a simple color function because color is not dependent on the height value and must be pre-computed. To get around using the color function, I thought to assign the vertex colors directly.

My code is simply:

data = Import[*file*]
colors = ToExpression /@ Import[*file*]
ListPlot3D[data, VertexColors->colors]

However, I get a runtime error:

VertexColors::errmatrixcol: {"magenta", "magenta", ...} must be a color-valued matrix of X by Y.

It is odd, because the online documentation does not use the terminology "color-valued" anywhere. I've tried using colors (converted from imported string as shown), RGB values, 6-digit hex representation, raw color strings, and I always receive the same error.

I've also tried the methods shown here, which do not require converting the string to a color using "ToExpression". The examples provided work well as provided, but I cannot get them to work with my data. I should mention my array is 15x12,000 but the example does not work for even simple arrays, such as 5x5. I even thought the problem had to do with my older version (10.2), but the problem persists in 10.3.1. Does anyone have a solution?

I've also thought to try to plot this directly using Graphics3D, however the data plots just fine as:

ListPlot3D[data]

enter image description here

Also worth noting, the error disappears if:

color = ToExpression /@ Import[*file*] // TableForm;
ListPlot3D[data, VertexColors->colors]

However, the plot is the same default color, and therefore the VertexColors assignment is not working for some reason. If anyone may have an idea as to why this is occurring, I would be most grateful.

POSTED BY: Gary Lawson
4 Replies

Very hard to give you the answer without knowing the data! Have you looked at the examples?

data = Flatten[
   Table[{x, y, Sin[x y]}, {x, 0, 3, 0.1}, {y, 0, 3, 0.1}], 1];
colors = Table[Hue[RandomReal[]], {31 31}];
ListPlot3D[data, Mesh -> None, VertexColors -> colors]

works fine.

What are the dimensions of your data? Is it an 2D or 3D list? Regarding the colors, yours errors says it is "magenta" rather than Magenta, so the colors seem to be a list of strings rather than actual colors. Have you tried making colors using RandomColor with the correct dimensions to check?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Sander, thanks for your reply:

Yes I am able to run examples, such as the one I hyperlinked. Again, I cannot make the examples work with my data.

I'm using a 2D list of data, as I described terribly.

For the error, I lazily retyped the message and did not capitalize the color in the error; in the data files, the colors are capitalized (see colors.csv). Also, with the ToExpression command, I'm able to verify that the colors are imported correctly.

With a random array of colors, I receive the same error.

I've attached two files, examples of what I'm using; you can re-create the plot I previously screen captured with data.csv.

Attachments:

I'm not sure where your example goes wrong here is the correct way:

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]];
data=Import["data.csv"];
colors=Import["color.csv"];
colors=Map[ToExpression,colors,{2}];
colors//Flatten//Tally
Dimensions/@{colors,data}

Note that I Map ToExpression over level 2, rather than level 1 as you did.

ListPlot3D[data, VertexColors -> {colors}]

VertexColors needs an extra {} for some reason I'm not sure of, probably if you have multiple plots, to distinguish each vertexcolors for each plot...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Sander,

I followed your method exactly and the colors were properly rendered! Thank you very much for the help! And tally was a great addition, I was not aware of this function before and proves helpful as well.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract