Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How can I display a chart showing historical Price/Earnings Ratios?

Posted 8 years ago

I am trying to use:

DateListPlot[FinancialData["GE", "Jan. 1, 2006","PERatio"]] 

but it's not working. Any ideas?

POSTED BY: Claudio Fahmy
6 Replies

Hi Claudio, I have the same problem with "GE". If you follow the Wolfram Financial Plattform: Quick Start, by Michael Kelly & Samuel Chen (check below the first lines), you get "Missing["NotAvailable"], for "GE". For all other companies it is fine. So the problem must be in in NYSE and not in Mathematca.

stocks = {"MSFT", "AAPL", "GOOG", "GS", "XOM", "GE"}; properties = {"Symbol", "Name", "Price", "PERatio", "MarketCap"} data = Table[FinancialData[s, p], {s, stocks}, {p, properties}] stocktable = Style[TableForm[data, TableHeadings -> {None, Style[#, Bold] & /@ {"Ticker Symbol", "Name", "Current Price", "P/E Ratio", "Market Cap"}}], FontFamily -> "Verdana", 14]

1. The syntax is not correct. You may have noticed that FinancialData gives an error. That is because the date comes last:

FinancialData["GE", "PERatio", "Jan. 1, 2006"]

2. FinancialData returns Missing, meaning that no data exists for the PE ratio from that time.

3. You can sometimes get FinancialData from Wolfram|Alpha. See here for a tutorial: http://support.wolfram.com/kb/7357

4. Sometimes, you just can't get the financial data you want from free sources. This is why people pay for a bloomberg or reuters subscription.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

Sorry. More accurately I meant that Yahoo, the provider of the free data isn't providing that data. They still sometimes provide data on their website that they won't provide through their services. Data licensing issues are complicated and annoying.

Posted 8 years ago

Thank you Sean.

I tried this, but it says data not available: WolframAlpha["Microsoft pe ratios 2011"]

Any other ideas before I look for an API somewhere else?

POSTED BY: Claudio Fahmy

In the past I've had success with Quandl. There is a Mathematica package online for working with it, although it's fairly easy to use without it as well.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract