|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Fibonnaci algorithm - explanation for syntax

Posted 8 years ago

Hello, I have been trying to find a way to run faster some recursive functions, and I started by coding Fibonacci. Apart from using memoization and the default definition

f[0] = 0;
f[1] = 1;
f[x_]:=f[x] = f[x-1] + f[x-2];

i also used a faster method, using linear algebra and tables ( I believe method is known more or less, no real need to mention it, but if someone is interested let me know).

fib[x_] := m[x][[1, 2]]
m[n_] := MatrixPower[{{1, 1}, {1, 0}}, n];
fib[200000] // AbsoluteTiming

Nevertheless searching the internet I came across the following method, that is really impressive. Unfortunately I cannot understand the logic inside module.

fib2[0] = 0;
fib2[n_] := Module[{f},

f[n, p1_, _] := p1;
  f[x_, p1_, p2_] := f[x + 1, p1 + p2, p1];
  f[1, 1, 0]
  ]

Block[{$IterationLimit = Infinity}, fib2[200000]] // AbsoluteTiming

I can tell that fib2 receives an initial value equal to 0 for n=0. Then inside module, a new function is defined, where it has 3 variables, and for the requested n (from fib2) and for any p2 value, function f returns p1 always. Then the problem of understanding lies with second line f[x_, p1_, p2_] := f[x + 1, p1 + p2, p1]; and finally the 3rd line is something like giving initial values for n=1 <=> fib2=1 (i think). Could someone please explain it to me analytically? And furthermore, if I rewrite it

Module[{f},
       f[1, 1, 0];
      f[n, p1_, _] := p1;
      f[x_, p1_, p2_] := f[x + 1, p1 + p2, p1];
      ]

it does not return anything, why so? Why does f[1,1,0] have to be entered at the last line (of module). Thank you

ps: the need for $IterationLimit is pretty clear, no need to elaborate there

POSTED BY: Tom Zinger

The rule f[x_, p1_, p2_] := f[x + 1, p1 + p2, p1] applies to the expression f[1,1,0], which evaluates recursively to

f[1, 1, 0]
f[2, 1 + 0, 1]
f[3, 1 + 1, 1]
f[4, 2 + 1, 2]
f[5, 3 + 2, 3]

until it reaches f[n,p1,p2], whereupon the other rule f[n, p1_, _] := p1 applies and it gives p1 as output. I don't know why this method should be specially fast. Something internal to Mathematica, I presume. If you write f[1,1,0] before the rules, the output of the Module is the output of the last expression, which in this case is Null.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract