Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Selectively replace strings in parentheses?

Posted 3 years ago
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

Hello everyone,

I have a string that has two substrings in parentheses. The string also contains a state abbreviation and zip code outside of the parentheses and another inside one of the parentheses. It looks like this:

myString = "Some words here, then (the quick brown fox) Los Angeles, CA 90071, and followed by (his other residence Chicago, IL 60604 right here)"

In strings such as this I want to remove the parenthesis that contains the state abbreviation and zip code and keep only the zip code. The result should be

myNewString = "Some words here, then (the quick brown fox) Los Angeles, CA 90071, and followed by Chicago, IL 60604"

I have a list of state abbreviations and have used Repeated[DigitCharacter,{5}] for the zip code, but my attempts with StringReplace, using Shortest and Overlaps in various combinations, do not give me what I want because the state abbreviation and zip code outside the parenthesis, CA 90071, keeps messing things up. Any tips?

Gregory

2 Replies

Include ")" in an exception, to prevent overlaps.

res = StringReplace[myString,
  Shortest["(" ~~ (lhs : Except[")"] ...) ~~
     city : Except[WhitespaceCharacter] .. ~~
     ", " ~~
     st : Repeated[LetterCharacter, {2}] ~~
     sp : Repeated[WhitespaceCharacter, {1}] ~~
     zp : Repeated[DigitCharacter, {5}] ~~
     rhs___ ~~ ")"] :> city <> ", " <> st <> " " <> zp]

"Some words here, then (the quick brown fox) Los Angeles, CA 90071, and followed by Chicago, IL 60604"

myNewString === res
True

Hi Christopher,

Nicely done! Thank you. I did try throwing in the right parenthesis as an exception but I did not follow it with RepeatedNull. Never would have thought of that. Lots to learn.

Thanks again,

Gregory

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract