GROUPS:

Set EdgeStyles on a Directed Graph?

Posted 5 years ago
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me understand how to use EdgeStyles on a directed graph.

On an un-directed graph I can do the following:

Graph[{1<->2,3 <-> 2,1<->3}, EdgeStyle -> {1<->2-> Directive[Thickness[0.01],Blue], 3 <-> 2 -> Directive[Thickness[0.005],Red], 
1<-> 3 -> Directive[Thickness[0.02],Green]}]

But on a directed graph the following does not work:

Graph[{1->2,3 -> 2,1->3}, EdgeStyle -> {1->2-> Directive[Thickness[0.01],Blue], 3 -> 2 -> Directive[Thickness[0.005],Red], 
1-> 3 ->  Directive[Thickness[0.02],Green]}]

Can someone help me understand what I am missing here?

Thank you, Grey

2 Replies

Just use parentheses:

Graph[{1 -> 2, 3 -> 2, 1 -> 3}, 
 EdgeStyle -> {(1 -> 2) -> 
    Directive[Thickness[0.01`], RGBColor[0, 0, 1]], (3 -> 2) -> 
    Directive[Thickness[0.005`], RGBColor[1, 0, 0]], (1 -> 3) -> 
    Directive[Thickness[0.02`], RGBColor[0, 1, 0]]}]
Posted 5 years ago

To add to this question, I would like to ultimately have a directed graph with variable edge colors and edge widths to represent the varying strengths of (directed) interactions between nodes in a network. I would also like to be able to control the coordinates where each vertex is plotted.

So far I have figured out that GraphPlot, allows specification of coordinates for vertices: GraphPlot[{1->2,2->3,3->1},VertexCoordinateRules->{1->{0,0},2->{1,1},3->{0,2}}]

And Graph apparently allows full controls of the edge widths: Graph[{1<->2,3 <-> 2,1<->3}, EdgeStyle -> {1<->2-> Directive[Thickness[0.01],Blue], 3 <-> 2 -> Directive[Thickness[0.005],Red], 1<-> 3 -> Directive[Thickness[0.02],Green]}]

But, the EdgeStyle Directives cannot be set for directed edges (as in the original question). Further, VertexCoordinateRules fors not work for Graph and EdgeStyle does not work for GraphPlot.

Is there a way to get everything that I want (control over vertex coordinates, and also control over individual edge widths)?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract