Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica 11 on Raspberry Pi?

Posted 8 years ago

I am very impressed with the functionalities that have been added to the new version 11 of Mathematica and I would love to use some of those in lessons I am preparing for students. Is anything known about plans to update Mathematica for Raspberry Pi to version 11? Because that is what the students use.

POSTED BY: Ted vanderTogt
7 Replies

Yes & no. I needed the uploaded sketch to persist in the Arduino between power cycling. However I found that the sketch 'evaporated' after re-establishing a serial connection with WL. As a result the sketch required re-loading via my Wolfram Language script every time. As you can imagine this was annoying at best and unacceptable at worst if you consider the large, but limited, number of write cycles that the Arduino (or any micro-controller based) flash ram can reliably handle under intensive use. Further progress needs to be made in streamlining and debugging a usable Arduino/Raspberry Pi interface package. I suspect that, like me, WL developers will find their own proprietary solutions to this problem.

Did you ever manage to resolve this? I seem to be having the exact same issue.

Thanks,

Hunter

POSTED BY: Hunter Soper

Hi Ian,

When attempting to upload any sketch containing the standard Servo library, via DeviceConfigure[ ], the compiler fails throwing these error messages:

(*

CCompilerDriver`CreateObjectFile::cmperr: Compile error: /tmp/arduinocompiled9edf4e353b24bba9a50e0b26eff8ed6/libs/Servo.h:69:2: error: #error "This library only supports boards with an AVR, SAM or SAMD processor."

ArduinoCompile`arduinoCompile::mainfail: Compilation of the sketch failed in the first stage

DeviceConfigure::compilefail: Compilation of the sketch failed. Halting

*)

However it seems more general than the Pi. I also tried compiling the same code through MMA v11.0 on a Linux Think Pad with the same result.

Thanks,

Francesco

Hi Francesco,

What is the problem you are having with the Arduino DeviceConfigure with the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks,

Ian

POSTED BY: Ian Johnson

...Yes, but now uploading an Arduino sketch containing the servo library, through DeviceConfigure, no longer compiles in v11 as it does in v10.3.

Posted 7 years ago

Just found out that version 11 for the Raspberry Pi is actually released! The regular "apt-get upgrade" did "hold back upgrading the package wolfram-engine", but "sudo apt-get upgrade wolfram-engine" upgraded my Mathematica to version 11. :-) Thanks!

POSTED BY: Ted vanderTogt

It is likely that the next Raspberry Pi release will be based on Mathematica 11, but currently there is no specific time frame.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract