Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Add/Import data that is not in the Knowledge Base?

Posted 8 years ago

I am setting up some lessons for students to work with Real-World data. Sometimes I want to ask questions using data that are not (yet) available from the Wolfram Knowledge base. For example instead of using the Eiffel Tower as a Geolocation, I want to use a local place like as the Amsterdam Dam Square. Is there a way to put this in in a way similar to built-in entities, so I can use the same syntax and algorithms to calculate with? (Another example: I could not ask students to compute the weight of an elephant divided by the weight of a human (since that weight is missing. Strange enough I can get a proper answer for this from Wolfram Alpha ...). Any suggestions on how to do these elegantly?

Ted

POSTED BY: Ted vanderTogt
3 Replies

Not really? Entities are just expressions like everything else, but I'm not sure how you'd get things like EntityValue to work without messing with it.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks Sander, I will try that as soon as I get Version 11 on my Mac. Is there any other way to achieve the same goal with version 10.3 on Raspberry Pi? (because that is what the students use) I hope version 11 will become available soon for the Raspberry Pi too, but I do not know what the plans are.

POSTED BY: Ted vanderTogt

Version 11 allows you to make your own Entities using:

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/EntityStore.html

If you know the location of the Dam Square you could of course specifiy it as a GeoPosition. Weights (masses) can be stored using Quantity

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract