Posted 2 years ago
|
1 Reply
|
7 Total Likes
|

Plane waves

Magic Carpet

Same basic idea as Square Up, but with no growth/decay, many more fundamental domains, and a much coarser discretization. The biggest challenge was to get the filesize small enough to post on Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

As usual, this should really be a Plot3D with PlotStyle->None and an appropriately placed and styled Mesh, but since you can't have a single mesh line change colors, I had to make a bunch of Lines with appropriate VertexColors, which is computationally kind of expensive (more precisely, transforming the graphics from Mathematica's internal representation to a form that can be displayed or exported seems to be expensive).

So no Manipulate, but here's the code I used to make the GIF:

carpet = Module[
   {n = 100, r = 50, cols, dots},
   cols = RGBColor /@ {"#9EFFA9", "#36485E", "#333146"};
   ParallelTable[
      dots = 
       Table[{r π (x - 1)/n, r π (y - 1)/n, Sin[r π (x - 1)/n - t] Sin[r π (y - 1)/n - t]}, {x, 1, n + 1}, {y, 1, n + 1}];
      Graphics3D[
       {Thickness[.00375],
        Table[
           Line[#[[i]],VertexColors -> (Blend[cols[[;; -2]], (# + 1)/2] & /@ #[[i, ;; , 3]])], {i, Length[#]}] & /@ {dots, Transpose[dots]}},
       Boxed -> False, PlotRange -> {{-.5, r π + .5}, {-.5, r π + .5}, {-2.5,  2.5}}, 
       ImageSize -> 540, ViewPoint -> .47 {1, 0, 1}, 
       SphericalRegion -> True, Background -> cols[[-1]]],
      {t, 0., π - #, #}] &[2 π/50]
   ];

Export[NotebookDirectory[] <> "carpet.gif", carpet, "DisplayDurations" -> {1/24}]

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the top of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract