Message Boards Message Boards

Get built-in curated data?

I have Mathematica 10.0 I typed in (as per the example):

PlanetData["Mars", "Mass"]

and evaluation simply returned:

PlanetData[Mars,Mass]

without a numeric evaluation as expected. Any Suggestions?

POSTED BY: Joseph Sowers
4 Replies

Thanks for the ideas. I tried both then cleared the paclet directory. There was no improvement. So I decided to find a Demonstration that used this type of data. After some searching, I found one that used AstronomicalData. The demo was hanging on initialization, so I downloaded the code. It brought up a flag/button that asked me to 'Enable Dynamic Loading' which I then did. Then came a flurry of messages relating to downloads from the Wolfram Research Server. Now everything is working as it should. I'm not quite clear on exactly how that fixed things (I'm pretty sure that the preference for allowing Dynamic Updates was set to true). Again, thanks for your help.

Thanks Sander,

That's what my preferences are set to (unfortunately). I tried the Test Connectivity button and got a successful response. Still no evaluation. Curious!

Have you tried some examples of the Documentation page? Do they work? What about other "Data" functions, like StarData or so?

There are some 'hidden' functions that look at changes of paclet data like RebuildPacletData, maybe there is some error in your paclet-cache?

Also make sure that all your paclets-sits are up-to-date:

PacletSiteUpdate /@ PacletSites[]

If those don't work, perhaps delete all your paclets in this directory:

ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Paclets", "Repository"}]

and try again.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Your input works fine for me (Versus 11.0.1). Make sure you have the following selected in the preferences:

enter image description here

"Allow the Wolfram System to access the internet"

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract