Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Get MAC addresses using Wolfram Language?

Posted 8 years ago

Hello,

I am going to deliver some CDF files and I want them to be used only in the computers that I choose. I would like to be able to read the MAC addresses for the computers and check them against coded MAC address. But I could not find the command for that as there is a simple one for MATLAB, i.e., getmac.

there is a $MachineID but it is related to the installation of CDF player or Mathematica. I need an "unique identifier" for this purpose (for linux, windows, and mac). Is there a command for that?

Thank you

Erdem

POSTED BY: Erdem Uguz
2 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Nothing wrong about $MachineID I just thought It is related to the Mathematica or CDF player installation. So if I re-install CDF player or Mathematica it will change. If it is something something about the computer not Wolfram product installation. It will work fine for me.

Thank you

Erdem

POSTED BY: Erdem Uguz

I think $MachineID is the value you should look at. That should be related to the entire Machine and should be a unique identifier.. What is wrong with it?

You could get the mac address by filtering out:

RunProcess[{"ifconfig", "-a", "ether"}]

on a mac and linux platforms, On windows it is called ipconfig I believe. Note that mac addresses can be easily spoofed (using ifconfig actually).

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract