Film groups: 275 space-time symmetries and the crystallography of looping animations

FilmGroups.gif

DOWNLOAD-DESKTOP-NOTEBOOK.nb (5.56 MB)

6 Likes

This was done in attempt to animate 275 space-time groups of [1703.03388] Space-time crystal and space-time group.
These were called Film Groups by Fletcher Client Challenge .

If wallpaper groups give symmetries of the plane, these give symmetries of an animated gif. I’m curious about better ways to generate motifs, there should be interesting ways to get motifs to appears to interact with past versions of themselves

1 Like

news-congrads-kkluyshnik-02-04-19.jpg – you have earned Featured Contributor Badge 2015-11-02_10-07-11.png
Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial columns Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Publication Materials https://wolfr.am/PubMat and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

Hm, I think someone replaced the notebook I uploaded here with a one from Github and it broke some things.

To get it running locally just put these three files into local folder: FilmGroups.wl, FilmGroupsData.wl, FilmGroupsGuide.nb from Github folder and open FilmGroupsGuide.nb

fascinating! I would be lying if I said I understood this!

re: emergent motifs, interactions across both ways.

I’ve been working on shaders for just 2 days with gemini, and I hope I’m doing some cool stuff. does this relate to your paper/work? I think it does? If so, I would like to collaborate, or pass technique on to everyone. I just don’t know best practice. Let me know if we’re at all on the same page?

the dodecagram can be turned into a sphere or dodecagon, but is not yet dimensionally denoised/ actually conserving

Everything here is running on the same engine based on imaginary/real/irrational/rational/symmetrical math. It’s quite tricky, but I hope I’ve demonstrated the manipulations and automata? present. It’s just hard to know, since I don’t know…

supernova on the same math. pretty at least. apologies for all the bright colors.
[1]: https://community.wolfram.com//c/portal/getImageAttachment?filename=Screenshot2026-08-11105359.png&userId=3776053
[2]: https://community.wolfram.com//c/portal/getImageAttachment?filename=Screenshot2026-08-11073015.png&userId=3776053
[3]: https://community.wolfram.com//c/portal/getImageAttachment?filename=Screenshot2026-08-10164112.png&userId=3776053
[4]: https://community.wolfram.com//c/portal/getImageAttachment?filename=Screenshot2026-08-11121749.png&userId=3776053