Please, How to import a Dataset in Mathematica for Machine Learning applications; actually I’m thinking about this question since I’ve seen the built-in function ExampleData[]:
Thank you Marco ,
in fact I want to know how you import a new database into Mathematica ,exactly like the Mathematica Team have done in the example you’ve showed me Marco ,
the MNIST Database .
ExampleData[{"MachineLearning", "MNIST"}]
You can discover the source of this Database forexample by:
In[2]:= ExampleData[{"MachineLearning", "MNIST"}, "Source"]
Out[2]= " 'The MNIST Database of handwritten digits', Y. LeCun, C. \
Cortes and C.J.C. Burges, http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/mnist/"
Marco, I want to know how to import the data contained in these set of files into Mathematica in an efficient short way.
Once I know the right method to do that, I will try to import other Databases - especially if they contain huge sets of data - into Mathematica for Machine Learning applications offered by Mathematica.
Again, In order to achieve this I want to know how Mathematica Team have managed to do this work of importing these kind of huge Databases shown in ExampleData.
I guess that the import will depend a bit on the type of data base. You seen the MNIST does not come in a standard format. At the bottom of the page you mention they tell you how the format is and what you need to program to extract it.
The format for different data bases will be different. Sometimes you might want to read data from a website. You then can use import. See for example this article: http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/435736
Sometimes you might take data from an API see for example here:
Some databases are easier to access than others. If you want to access data from the Office for National Statistics in the UK, it is actually quite easy. You head to the data section and download a file in a standard format, usually Excel, and after saving the you use a simple import. This command does this for some crime data:
data = Import["http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/period-\ending-march-2014/rft-table-5.xls"];
You then will have to figure out what the numbers mean, i.e. read meta data or explanations within the dataset, and you are good to go.
I have used large data sets from NASA or gigabytes of data from police forces to analyse data. Once you have imported and cleaned the data all this is possible even for large data set.
Is there any specific data set you want to access?
Hi Marco,
Thank you for your good ideas,
As you’ve said there is a wonderful and rich events to wait for in the near future,
Please take a look at this link: http://datadrop.wolframcloud.com/
It’s a suprisingly useful dynamic Data project:
The Wolfram Data Drop is an open service that makes it easy to accumulate data of any
kind, from anywheresetting it up for immediate computation, visualization, analysis,
querying or other operations.
From personal experience I would also think that the SemanticImport function is really useful to work with external data.
About your last question, I tried to import an Image Data Set from the same site Mathematica took the MNIST Data Set as an example: (THE small NORB DATASET) —> http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~ylclab/data/norb-v1.0-small/
I want to use it in the same way Mathematica used the MNIST Data set, the machine Learning applications newly implemented in Mathematica.
But unfortunatly I didn’t succeed in achieving this, I think I don’t master the Mathematica language to do this, so I asked for Help.