Hello,
I am missing the menu-item “Install” here on MMA 11.2 on the Raspberry.
I am trying to use a ‘package’ I’ve downloaded, its readme says
Under File > Install… , choose package and input the path to the package you just downloaded.
Also the help here says the same. But the menupoint “Install” is completely missing here. Is it a difference in the Raspberry-version of MMA? How do I use this package now, is it still possible at all? Many thanks already.
Packages need to placed in the directory returned by FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Applications"}]. If you got a zip file, you will need to extract it first.
Generally, packages come with installation instructions. You should follow those instructions instead of using File → Install, which will mess things up unless the package was specifically designed to be installed this way.
The program I am talking about exactly is POVRayRender.
After I copied the folder from basedir .WolframEngine to /Applications it was fine. Then I had figured out how to set the config-path exactly
I could still need some information how to install MathGl3D now…does it work on the Raspberry Pi at all? I tried to extract the linked mgl2_2linux.exe.tar.gz and copied the MathGl3d-folder to /Applications, too - but did not figured out if thats correct or how to get it to work exactly…
(pic is made with/from Povray-example/tutorial after I got it installed)
MathGL3D is a very old package that was made for versions of Mathematica that did not have rotatable 3D graphics. It is not needed since Mathematica 6.0 (~2007).
To make it work, very likely it would not only need recompilation, but also several non-trivial compatibility fixes.
If you’re looking for packages to try, I’d suggest looking at recent / maintained ones. Anything older than 10 years may be difficult to get working. http://packagedata.net/ mostly lists new or still maintained packages.