How do I get step by step solutions to Calculus equations? Wolfram gives me the answer, but I want to look at the back ground steps to solving the problem.
I guess the simplest way is to use the function WolframAlpha (see the Online Help). When you get the answer to a particular query (evaluating a derivative or an integral, solving an equation, etc.) it has the option to give the step-by-step solution which is, I guess, what you’re looking for.
I assume you are talking about the WolframAlpha site rather than Mathematica–if it’s Mathematica, follow Tomas Garza’s advice. If it’s WolframAlpha then just type your query into WolframAlpha… here is an example:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+x%5En%2F(1%2Bx)
And with the result you will see a button that says “Step-by-step solution” that you can click to access the conventional steps that it takes to get to the answer
Actually, I see that, to get the step-by-step answer from WolframAlpha you will need a “Pro” subscription…
Yes, and that is not inexpensive. That’s why I thought it best to use the WolframAlpha function in Mathematica.
By the way, the internal code of Mathematica does things in a different way than the step-by-step methods we humans use.
You might also want to take a look at this Mathematica StackExchange
I got the pro subscription, but I find step-by-step often fails.
I posted some of my own pics on another thread