Hi, I am defining a sum using the following code:
mySum = Sum[a[i] b[i], {i, 1, n}]
Then I do:
myValue = D[mySum, a[k]]
Which naturally gives: \sum _{i=1}^n b(i) \delta _{i,k}. Since no assumptions are made, Mathematica can do nothing more to simplify the expression. But then I do:
Simplify[myValue, k >= 1 && k <= n]
Which mathematically is b(k) under the assumptions that k\geq 1 and k\leq n. But the simplification is not made. Is there a natural way in which Mathematica can deal with such simplifications?
I am trying the trial version of Mathematica, and I have to decide whether to buy it or not. I did not have to much time to try everything, but I did my best. I also looked on the web, and there does not seem to be a natural solution there. I would like Mathematica to do the simplification automatically given the right assumptions.
Thank you!