simplifying a series of equations

Hi
I have a series of interconnected equations that I know will simplify to a polynomial but I have been unable to do so. Is this possible?

y=t-DT

where

DT = 300a/9.81

where

a=[(B/2)^2/3]/[(Tu/2)^2/3 * (h-hv+tu)]

where

hv = (Vi * d)/(4B * (Tu/2)^2)^1/3

Where

B = Vi * g * d

where

g = (9.81 (t-x))/300

Vi = Q/l

I want to express this in the terms of

y = ax^2 + bx + c

where a, b and c will be some combination of the variables detailed above

Hi Louis,

Making your substitutions,

y==t-DT /.DT->300a/9.81
y==-30.58103975535168` a+t/.a->((B/2)^2/3)/((Tu/2)^2/3*(h-hv+tu))
y==t-(30.58103975535168` B^2)/((h-hv+tu) Tu^2)/.hv->(Vi*d)/(4B*(Tu/2)^2)^1/3
y==t-(30.58103975535168` B^2)/(Tu^2 (h+tu-(d Vi)/(3 B Tu^2)))/.B->Vi*g*d
y==t-(30.58103975535168` d^2 g^2 Vi^2)/((h+tu-1/(3 g Tu^2)) Tu^2)/.g->(9.81 (t-x))/300
y==t-(0.032700000000000014` d^2 Vi^2 (t-x)^2)/(Tu^2 (h+tu-10.193679918450558`/(Tu^2 (t-x))))/.Vi->Q/l
y==t-(0.032700000000000014` d^2 Q^2 (t-x)^2)/(l^2 Tu^2 (h+tu-10.193679918450558`/(Tu^2 (t-x))))

So, the final form of y is:

y==t-(A (t-x)^2)/(B-F/(t-x))

This cannot be put into a quadratic form. If you solve for x, there would be two solutions if it were quadratic:

In[21]:= Solve[y==t-(A (t-x)^2)/(B-F/(t-x)),x]

Out[21]= {

{x->t+(2^(1/3) (-3 A B t+3 A B y))/(3 A (-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3))-(1/(3 2^(1/3) A))((-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3))},

{x->t-((1+I Sqrt[3]) (-3 A B t+3 A B y))/(3 2^(2/3) A (-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3))+(1/(6 2^(1/3) A))(1-I Sqrt[3]) (-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3)},

{x->t-((1-I Sqrt[3]) (-3 A B t+3 A B y))/(3 2^(2/3) A (-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3))+(1/(6 2^(1/3) A))(1+I Sqrt[3]) (-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y+\[Sqrt](4 (-3 A B t+3 A B y)^3+(-27 A^2 F t+27 A^2 F y)^2))^(1/3)}
}

But there are three solutions.

Eric

Try this

In[14]:= y = t - DT; DT = 
 300 a/9.81; hv = (Vi*d)/(4 B*(Tu/2)^2)^(1/3); B = 
 Vi*g*d; g = (9.81 (t - x))/300; Vi = Q/l;

In[15]:= y

Out[15]= -30.581 a + t

thanks for your reply Eric it is much appreciated

I am new to this website, so am just trying to learn how it all works. Did you calculate the substitutions yourself or do you use wolfram?

If you include the equation for a:

y=t-DT;
DT=300 a/9.81;
a=((B/2)^2/3)/((Tu/2)^2/3*(h-hv+tu));
hv=(Vi*d)/(4 B*(Tu/2)^2)^(1/3);
B=Vi*g*d;
g=(9.81 (t-x))/300;
Vi=Q/l;

In[34]:= y
Out[34]= t-(0.0327 d^2 Q^2 (t-x)^2)/(l^2 Tu^2 (h+tu-(3.12716 d Q)/(l ((d Q Tu^2 (t-x))/l)^(1/3))))

This doesn’t agree with my substitutions, though. ?

Louis, Mathematica did all the work.

Eric

Edit:

The error is mine; I didn’t put a pair of parentheses around the 1/3 power in hv. So are the other powers 2/3?

Louis, could you more completely parenthesize the equations? The result could be very different.