Message Boards Message Boards

Higgs Boson Classification via Neural Network

Posted 8 years ago
POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
7 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

It's quite old, as is my desktop system: a GeForce GTX 650 Ti. I am currently shopping for a new desktop system. If I actually go for a full-blown GPU co-processor card (in addition to one for the video display), any recommendations?

POSTED BY: Alan Lewis
Posted 7 years ago

Arnoud,

Thank you! I actually didn't realize I could use my existing NVIDIA video card for this. But now (after a driver update) I see I can.

Good to hear! Keeping drivers up to date is always a good thing, especially with graphics drivers.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what nVidia card do you have?

Posted 7 years ago

Excellent post.

I see you are using TargetDevice->"GPU". I am shopping for a new desktop and thinking about getting one with a GPU. Can you discuss the run-time improvement associated with this problem and the GPU, and give as much detail about your hardware and operating system environment as you care to share.

Alan,

I use an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 card:

enter image description here

Speedups differ a lot for different training scenarios. For this example I am seeing about 2x speedup. The LeNet example in the NetTrain reference documentation shows a 10x speed-up, and the CIFAR-10 example is about 60x for me.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Is there also a video on this?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now Staff Pick! Thank you for your wonderful contributions. Please, keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract