Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Transfer the contents of a notebook to the posts on this site?

Posted 5 years ago
|
7 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
|

I am looking for an efficient way to transfer the contents of a Mathematica Notebook to a post on this site. It's extremely tedious to do this copying and pasting cell by cell. I also tried copying and pasting as images, but the resolution is too low.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Whats needed is an efficient mechanism for importing a nb file, or at the very least, a pdf.

7 Replies

The Wordpress plug-in works very nicely indeed and is trivially easy to use. No need to convert to html. The only downside is that you can't copy/paste code. For example, see the same article posted as a pdf on my own web site here.

But, I agree, it would be much better if there was a mechanism that allowed you to import a Mathematica Notebook, or cdf, or an embedded link to a Wolfram Cloud object.

I'm quite sure they will never do it though, there are some concerns, difficulties, and limitations:

1. Potential to have exploits inside PDF files.
  2. It can contain custom fonts that makes the site look very 'un-even', all the styles will be more or less random and not standardized. Not to mention different page-sizes, and orientations.
  3. Searching is much more tricky (and slower) in PDF than in plain text.
  4. As you said, copy-paste is tricker, though not impossible…
  5. Not each operating system/browser has equal PDF support, and the experience might differ a lot between systems, especially for mobile devices…
  6. A lot of people are already incredibly lazy when it comes to making a good post (i.e. I have a problem, please help, here is the notebook). I suspect this will make it even worse…

Well, then, I suppose the best solution would be a mechanism to allow the import of an html folder, resolving all the links. Then you can just save a Notebook in html format and upload the html folder created by Mathematica. Easy!

I once started nb to markdown converter but I didn't have time to polish it. It is usable though:

How to export a Mathematica notebook into Markdown?

PDF would be much more difficult to implement, NB would be much easier… One could make a script that takes a NB file, converts all the sections and so on accordingly, and exports all the images. This would simplify the posting already considerably.

No so much. For example, there is a Wordpress plug-in that displays a pdf on a web page. Something like that would work well here.

You can already convert a Notebook and save it in html format, which saves all the graphics separately and then paste them one by one into the post. That's what I did. It's extremely slow, tedious and error-prone. It's one of the main reasons why I don't post more articles on the site.

Showing it as PDF is easy yeah, but not so nice, and near impossible to control. I meant converting the PDF back to html; that is much more tricky, unless you're satisfied by just stills of course…

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract