|
3 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Representation of Speak function's output

Hi,
I very much like the "Speak" function, which takes a string and speaks it. I think it is cool. However, it would be nice if I can get a handle to its internal workings, for example, its parse structure that drives the spoken form. Is that possible? That would give me a way to manipulate the generated structure before the final sound is emitted.

Regards,
Rangarajan
3 Replies
If the string is directly sent to the machine's speech engine, then there is nothing to do.
You could post-process output of SpokenString in anyway you like - for example with Mathematica linguistic functionality. And only then send it to Speak.
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
The parse structure is not available as top level documented functionality. There is a function called SpokenString, which is the textual representation of Speak:

In[1]:= SpokenString[HoldForm[Integrate[1/x^2, x]]]
Out[1]= "the integral of 1 over x squared with respect to x"
POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Hi Arnoud,
Thanks. The documentation says that. I am looking at the next step. For instance, how does Mathematica proceed to the next step with that string "the integral of 1 over x squared with respect to x"? If the string is directly sent to the machine's speech engine, then there is nothing to do. Instead if Mathematica does additional processing before sending it to the speech engine, is it possible to access that repn?

Regards,
Rangarajan
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract