Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
18 Replies
|
19 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can Wolfram Engine do more than Mathematica?

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
18 Replies

In short, no.

(well, if we don't count the kind of significant ability to be freely available for certain purposes)

From https://www.wolfram.com/engine/faq/

How does the Free Wolfram Engine for Developers relate to Mathematica?

It's the same core engine, but with a different interface and different licensing. Mathematica is used primarily for interactive computing, with the Wolfram Notebook interface. The Free Wolfram Engine for Developers is intended to be called by other programs, using a variety of program communication interfaces. The Free Wolfram Engine for Developers is licensed for pre-production use in developing software. Unlike Mathematica, it is not licensed for generating outputs for commercial or organizational use.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 5 years ago

Screenshot from wolfram.com / Products & Services:

enter image description here

It could be a good idea to also include a link to something like "Which product serves my needs best?"

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

"It could be a good idea to also include a link to something like 'Which product serves my needs best?' ":

In a sense WRI already has that information, albeit distributed over a number of pages. What's really lacking is a table comparing features, licensing terms, perhaps even cost.

It's not uncommon when one is trying to pick one of several competing or similar products, or version of a piece of software, to allow the user to check-mark several of the products/versions and then click a button that produces such a table of comparisons.

Just what does that qualifying phrase "but with a different interface" in WRI's FAQ mean?

Distributed with Mathematica is the wolframscript package, which allows one to call the Wolfram language from the command line; and of course there are the various methods of linking Mathematica to programming languages, databases, etc.

Is there something more to the interface of Wolfram Engine than is already available with wolframscript + Mathematica?

Is there something more to the interface of Wolfram Engine than is already available with wolframscript + Mathematica?

No, there isn't. In fact, the notebook interface (Frontend) is not available in the Wolfram Engine product.

Yes, of course I realize that the Front end is not available in the Wolfram Engine. But "interface" is a more general terms that could refer to APIs, etc.

Posted 5 years ago
POSTED BY: Lee Godfrey

Can one just as easily &msdash; if one had reason to do so! — use a Juypter notebook interface to the kernel of an ordinary Mathematica installation?

I already use Juypter notebooks to interface with other languages, including J and Python. So at times being able to stay within Juypter would be attractive.

(Just to avoid any possible misunderstanding: they'd have to pry the Mathematica Front End out of my cold dead hands before I'd give it up!)

Can one just as easily — if one had reason to do so! — use a Juypter notebook interface to the kernel of an ordinary Mathematica installation?

Yes, there is nothing special about the kernel found in a Wolfram Engine installation vs a Mathematica installation.

Posted 5 years ago
POSTED BY: Lee Godfrey

In other words, the Wolfram Engine is simply the text-based CLI and the kernel. Basically, MathKernel.exe (sp?) on Windows, which I think has always been present. (No experience with wolframscript, so can't address that.)

That is, Mathematica without the notebook FrontEnd.

POSTED BY: Vincent Virgilio
Posted 5 years ago

This has been informative, thank you. Just to clarify:

• can the engine produce plots?
  • if so, in what format are they returned?

I would like to embed them in (a) in HTML or (b) directly in JavaFX as images.

Is that possible?

Also, my impression is that you cannot invoke Alpha via the engine so that would require a separate, usage-based license, is that correct?

Thanks very much. --larry

POSTED BY: Lawrence White
Posted 4 years ago

I will answer my own question - the first part anyway. The engine can produce png files using Export[]

POSTED BY: Updating Name
POSTED BY: Kirill Vasin
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract