Message Boards Message Boards

Mass Shooting in USA

Posted 5 years ago

enter image description here

Introduction

After two mass shooting in two consecutive days in USA I wanted to make a quick analysis of mass shooting data. I found a website that collects this data from 1982 till July-2019.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

I was interested in number of fatalities, date and race. The cover image shows the locations of the incidents on the map of USA with disks sizes proportional to the number of fatalities with the latest two shootings highlighted in light blue.

Fatalities over time

Number of fatalities over time shows an increase in rate and number of fatalities over time specially in the last 10 years.

note that the orange entries represents the latest two shootings!

The Yearly rate of mass shooting is obviously high in recent years

Finding total number of fatalities per year after adding the two recent incidences support the same results.

It also shows that the year 2017 has the highest number of fatalities as a result of mass shootings with total number of fatalities 117.

Also the top 10 years in terms of number of mass shootings are all in the last 10 years except 1999 as shown in the following table:-

In these 10 years the shooters were mostly white in race!

Finally the notebook and data files are included for more analysis.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
4 Replies

Thanks, it is an honor.

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now featured in our Staff Pick column as distinguished by a badge on your profile of a Featured Contributor! Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing your work to the The Notebook Archive!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Hi Kapio

No, but I just did, great article which shows a striking correlation between shop density and locations of shootings. The Mass shooting data in Marco's is different from the one I used.The later is more detailed and contains only main incidents since 1982 till now. I created this notebook and post in just one hour, mainly to just answer my own questions after reading the sad news while sitting on the beach so it was not meant to be a real data analysis. This data is very well organized and detailed, hope me or someone else will have some time and give it a deep analysis like Correlation testing, Clustering, modeling ...etc.

Nice post! Have you seen this one by @Marco Thiel and is there data difference?

https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/873886

POSTED BY: Kapio Letto
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract