Message Boards Message Boards

Investigation - power outages in the UK

Posted 5 years ago
Attachments:
POSTED BY: Henry Jaspars
7 Replies

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now featured in our Staff Pick column as distinguished by a badge on your profile of a Featured Contributor! Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing your work to the The Notebook Archive!

POSTED BY: EDITORIAL BOARD
Posted 5 years ago

Good question - this is from a statistical hypothesis test (here, a one-tailed z-test, with p-value).

Assume the frequencies, F, are similar to the distribution NormalDistribution[50.0012, 0.0584802]. Then we have two hypotheses:

H0: This was caused by a statistical misfortune (the null hypothesis)

H1: This was caused by a process problem (the alternative hypothesis)

We will test this at the 99.99% significance level (so for us to be certain H1 was the case, the probability this would occur if the process was in statistical control must be below ? = 0.0001). The probability this was an accident, assuming the process was in control, was p = Prob[F < 49.5] = 5.1191*10^-18 < 0.0001 = ?. So we have sufficient evidence, at the 99.99% significance level, to reject H_0. Therefore, we can be almost (but never completely; such is the way of statistics) certain that this could not be a statistical misfortune. So the process was not in control at the time of the blackouts.

Thank you for your detailed answer. Some parts still not sufficiently explained, for example you are using a variable called newfreqs when you are comparing the distribution of the frequencies with Normal distribution instead of the usual variable frequencies but you didn't show what this newfreqs is. I am asking about that because the frequencies are not normally distributed

h = DistributionFitTest[Last /@ frequencies, Automatic, "HypothesisTestData"]
h["TestDataTable", All]

Long story short, I think it is too early to judge that the blackout is not by chance specially that it happened only twice in 8 years, so using the word systematic is harsh. You still can be write but it needs more investigation I think.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Posted 5 years ago

With regards to the variable names, I have just amended that. Thank you for pointing that out!

Although I agree that a normal distribution is not perfect here, observe how far the 49.5 Hz reading lies from the mean:

In[1]: (Mean[Last/@frequencies] - 49.5)/StandardDeviation[Last/@frequencies]

Out[1]: 8.57123

Regardless of choice of distribution, 8.57 standard deviations from the mean is a remarkable outlier. Which distribution would you suggest as opposed to the normal (I considered Student's T, but this was not successful)?

POSTED BY: Kapio Letto
Posted 5 years ago

I had already tried this, but was not pleased with the results.

In[1]: dist = FindDistrubution[Last/@frequencies]

Out[1]: StudentTDistribution[50.0054, 0.0739269, 8.64764]

In[2]: Show[Histogram[Last /@ frequencies, Automatic, "ProbabilityDensity"], 
 Plot[PDF[dist, x], {x, 49.7, 50.3}, 
  PlotStyle -> Thick]]

which gave:

graph

which doesn't seem like a particularly good fit. Others from the best solutions do not seem particularly accurate either.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract