GROUPS:

Label duplicate edges differently?

Posted 10 months ago
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I have a Graph with multiple edges between two vertices. Of course, I want to label them differently. (Or, more generally, give them different properties such as weight or style).

Unfortunately, WL seems to treat multiple edges just like one edge. They get all the same labels. I cannot use EdgeLabels->{(from->to)->lbl, ...} since this doesn't distinguish between multiple edges. But even if I use Labeled[from->to,lbl] during the definition of the graph's edges, multiple edges do not get different labels. See the following labels with two edges 1->2. hey get the same label, namely the first set.

Graph[{
Labeled[1 \[DirectedEdge] 2, "First 1\[DirectedEdge]2"], 
1 \[DirectedEdge] 3, 
Labeled[1 \[DirectedEdge] 2, "Second 1\[DirectedEdge]2"], 
3 \[DirectedEdge] 2, 
3 \[DirectedEdge] 1}
, VertexLabels -> {1 -> "#1", 2 -> "#2", 3 -> "#3"}
, EdgeLabels -> "Name", ImageSize -> Small]

enter image description here

2 Replies

This is actively being developed and will show up in version 12.1. At the moment the same edges can not be distinguished unfortunately. @Szabolcs Horvát might know a workaround…

Note: Not a Wolfram employee but I only know from what I've seen in the live streams…

Posted 9 months ago

I will try to insert additional artificial vertices into each of those multiple edges. This will of course change some properties of the graph, but I need it for visualization and some path calculations only. So this might be a workaround.

LayeredGraphPlot[{
  Labeled[1 \[DirectedEdge] 21, "First 1\[DirectedEdge]2"], 
  21 \[DirectedEdge] 2,
  1 \[DirectedEdge] 3,
  Labeled[1 \[DirectedEdge] 22, "Second 1\[DirectedEdge]2"], 
  22 \[DirectedEdge] 2,
  3 \[DirectedEdge] 2, 3 \[DirectedEdge] 1}
 , VertexLabels -> {1 -> "#1", 2 -> "#2", 3 -> "#3"}
 , EdgeLabels -> "Name", ImageSize -> Medium]

enter image description here

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract