Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Anyone else having notebooks overwritten by "Save as" to PDF format?

In Mathematica 12.0.0.0 under OS 10.15 (Catalina), I have what looks like a reproducible bug, in that it has occurred twice with the same notebook.

In order to create a PDF version, I use the File->Save As option, and select PDF format. The filename is the same as the notebook, but with .pdf instead of .nb. I get the "why the beep" window immediately, warning me that it has created a recovery file since the notebook file has changed, and thanks to this did not lose my work.

The head of both the created pdf file and the notebook file after the "Save as" operation look like this

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%Creator: cairo 1.15.4 (http://cairographics.org) %%CreationDate: Tue Oct 29 11:44:22 2019 %%Pages: 7 %%DocumentData: Clean7Bit %%LanguageLevel: 3 %%DocumentMedia: Letter 612 792 0 () () %%Creator: Wolfram Mathematica 12.0.0.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (April 8, 2019) %%BoundingBox: 54 80 506 714 %%EndComments

Neither file can be read by Mac preview or Acrobat Reader however.

This looks like a file destroying bug. It's possible that it is somehow specific to my notebook of course, but I am reluctant to start opening up all my notebooks to test this for obvious reasons.

POSTED BY: Kevin McFarland
2 Replies

This bug also occurred for me when I attempted to save a notebook as a pdf over an existing .nb file. I haven't found any other mention of this bug and haven't found any way of recovering my work.

POSTED BY: Justin Brissette
Posted 3 years ago

On the Mac, I noticed after a recent upgrade that the default name to save as PDF is now the name of the notebook with an nb extension. I'm pretty sure that the default used to have the pdf extension.

POSTED BY: Mike Besso
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract