Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

[GIF] Vanishing Point (Conformal image of a vertical grid)

Posted 2 months ago
|
1 Reply
|
7 Total Likes
|

Conformal image of a vertical grid

Vanishing Point

This is essentially the same setup as :eyes:: the map $f(z) = \frac{-4i}{z}$ maps the infinite strip $\{z \in \mathbb{C} : 1 \leq \operatorname{Re}(z) \leq 2\}$ to the region between the two circles $\{z \in \mathbb{C}: |z+i| = 1\}$ and $\{z \in \mathbb{C}: |z+2i|=2\}$, so the square grid in the strip gets mapped to a right-angled grid in the region between circles.

Code for a (very slow) Manipulate (see this comment for the process of exporting to GIF):

With[{r = 20, d = 11, 
  cols = RGBColor /@ {"#00a8cc", "#ffa41b", "#000839"}},
 Manipulate[
  Graphics[{EdgeForm[None], 
    Table[{Blend[cols[[;; 2]], (i - 1)/(Length[#] - 1)], 
        Polygon[Join[#[[i, 1]], Reverse[#[[i, 2]]]]]},
       {i, 1, Length[#]}]
      &@Partition[Table[ReIm[(-4 I)/(x + I t)], {x, 1., 2, 1/d}, {t, -50, 50, .01}], 2],
    cols[[-1]],
    Polygon[Join[#[[1]], Reverse[#[[2]]]]] & /@ 
     Partition[Table[ReIm[(-4 I)/(1 + t + I (y - u))], {y, Join[Table[s, {s, -r, r, 1./d}]]}, {t, -.01, 1, .01}], 2]},
   ImageSize -> 540, PlotRange -> {{-2.6, 2.6}, {-4.6, .6}}, 
   Axes -> None, Background -> cols[[-1]]],
  {u, 0, 2/d}]
 ]

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here

Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing to the The Notebook Archive!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract