|
|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Using external evaluator such as R and python updated in 12.0

I am curious with all the new updates in 12.0 what are some of the prevalent ways Mathematica users using the R and Python evaluations . And vice versa ( how Python users are using Mathematica) if they are not the same. Specific examples would be nice.

POSTED BY: Jack I Houng
Posted 4 years ago

I am working on using R as a way to access Google Drive. If I were on a PC, I'd probably use .Net, but on a Mac, R looks to be much less work. Though, I would rather be able to access all of the features of Google Drive directly from the Wolfram language. But, Wolfram has told me that that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Having spent the last 5+ years using R to do some analytics, but mostly to automate report generation, I am finding the Wolfram Language as a more robust option for the following reasons:

• While R is a full-featured platform, the reliance on multiple packages from multiple sources causes things to break several times a year, and sometimes several times a month.
  • The unit testing framework in Wolfram Workbench is far superior to the multiple frameworks in R that are often not consistent with the packages you are using.

Having rewritten some R code in the Wolfram Language, I have noticed that I am writing less code (though much more unit testing code) to do the same thing. While I'm still learning the Wolfram Language, I would guess that in a couple of months, I'll be at a point where I can say that I'm an order of magnitude more productive in the Wolfram Language over R.

POSTED BY: Mike Besso
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract