2 Replies
|
18 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica as lab notebook: Please support enhanced free-hand input

Posted 3 years ago

Hi,

I would love to use Mathematica as my primary lab notebook. However, a feature that I am constantly missing is an improved support of free-hand input on a tablet computer. This might be either an iPad or a Microsoft Surface tablet. I am aware, there are the "drawing tools" on Mathematica Desktop. However, they do not really nicely integrate with a stylus (e.g. they don't recognize different preassure levels or stylus tilts). So, currently I have always to keep a OneNote notebook and in addition a Mathematica notebook. In Onenote I store handwritings, screenshots (with markings like arrows, small text labels and so on) and photos taken with the back camera of the Surface. In Mathematica, I analyze quickly measurement files and keep track of theory stuff.

It would be great, if Mathematica could fill that gap and extend the Notebook capabilities towards a more "natural" user experience for having free-hand input! Maybe a way would be to include a new "free-hand cell" that works basically like e.g. the old Windows Journal (in which you can also expand the canvas if you run out of space etc).

Peter

POSTED BY: Peter Egli
2 Replies

Hi Peter, what a great idea! I'm actually experiencing the same issues with my remote math teaching activites and I hope Wolfram can seriously consider implementing that functionality in the near future.

I warmly support your request. Now as we are teaching, mostly online, this is of great importance. I use IPAD and lack the combination of free hand notes done in real time with regular notebook that is prepared beforehand.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract