Message Boards Message Boards

Method for unique collisions between 2 subdivided ellipsoids

Posted 11 years ago
Hi,

I would like find a way to figure out how many unique collision there are between 2 equally subdivided ellipsoids (velocity=1).

When you have 2 ellipsoids and you let them collide  than you have an infinite amount of possible collisions.

The goal is to reduce this infinite number to a manageable list of for example unique 32 collisions by :
  1. Subdividing the ellipsoids, so instead of having an infinite number of points on these ellipsoids where they can hit, they are subdivided into 3 zones (I-II-III per quarter).
  2. Reduce the possible rotation angles into steps of 15°
  3. Using symmetry, to cancel out the collisions that are the same when A hits B vs. B hits A, and the outcome of a collision on the left side is symmetric to one on the right, or back and front etc.
(Note, the use of 3 Zones and 15° Angles is arbitrary, i guess once a method is found these could be easily changed into whatever.)

--

Attached is an overview where the Ellipse A is Set and B comes flying in, and where:
  • B is shifted a couple of steps along the vertical-axis (right-top).
  • B is rotated in relation to A in steps of 15° (left-bottom)
  • B is rotated in relation to A in steps of 15° and B itself is rotated 15° (right-bottom)
  • B is shifted a couple of steps along the horizontal-axis and B itself is rotated 105°(left-top).
-

That's it, I don't know if such a method already exists or if this is perhaps something that could be solved with a Monte Carlo method or something else, all suggestions are welcome to take care of this.

Kind regards,

m.

... seems like I better figure this out 'manually' ...

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract